Students,

For many of you, this is the first time you have experienced the joy that is Shakespeare. I want you to write about two things for this week’s blog. Each one should be at least a five-sentence paragraph. You will also need to respond to a peer with constructive feedback by the end of the week.

1. Please give the world your honest opinion about Shakespeare thus far. After reading “The Taming of the Shrew,” what do you think of Shakespeare’s written style, and his plot devices? Knowing that the play was written between 1590 and 1594, (making it over 400 years old!) discuss why you think his work has stayed relevant for such a long time. If this is not your first time reading Shakespeare, talk about the first play you read or watched performed and how you remember responding.

2. Talk about Shakespeare’s use of concealed identity in “Taming of the Shrew.” Why do you think Shakespeare chose to include such rampant use of this device in his plays? What do you think it adds or takes away from the play?

My “A” example is the first post.

Here is a podcast to help you out: Shakespeare response blog

111 Responses to “Shakespeare Response Blog of the Week. Due 5/20”

1. Mr. Stewart says:

My first encounter with Shakespeare occured during my first year of high school. Our drama program was putting on a performance of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” which is one of Shakespeare’s most famous comedies. I had heard of Romeo and Juliet and was familiar with the story, and I knew of Hamlet’s famous line, “To be, or not to be…,” but I had never seen a stage performance of his work. I was fearful of the antiquated, or old, language. All the uses of “thee” “thou” and “Forsooth;” how was I ever to understand it? I will say that at first, I felt like I was hearing a different language. This only took about five minutes, though, and then I was fully immersed in the language. And it was funny – REALLY funny. The wit, the word-play, the musical flow of each line made for an immensely enjoyable night of theater. I believe that his work has remained relevant after over four centuries due to its universal themes. Shakespeare deals with love, loss, greed, want of power, and all other themes of everyday existence. He plays around with the English language like a Jazz musician improvises with his saxophone. With such a fine understanding of rhythm and timing, the words flow as if each were hand-picked and that no other word will suffice.
    In “Taming of the Shrew,” we see Shakespeare’s comedy at its very best. The play’s premise is one of winning the heart of two young ladies, and what ensues is madness. I believe that his use of false identities throughout the play is part of the play’s comedic value. The actors aren’t just donning new costumes in the hope of tricking the other character on stage. They are taking on a new persona, so that certain characters are portraying multiple parts throughout the show. This takes true talent, true “chops.” The audience’s experience is made all the better by their knowing that certain characters aren’t what they seem. This is called dramatic irony, and Shakespeare was a master of it. The audience’s anticipation is increased because they want to see the other’s reaction when the ruse falls apart or the true identity is revealed. The actor must sell his or her surprise. An actor playing a part in this play would be expected to take on multiple personas throughout the telling of the story. This would be a dream for many actors, and it makes for a very entertaining evening for the audience.

2. Sophie says:

Shakespeare, in my opinion, is a simply amazing writer. I cannot believe how much of his work is related to modern day TV show plots and movies. Shakespeare puts the perfect amount of comedy and romance into his plays. “Taming Of the Shrew” is the first play I have ever read by Shakespeare. At first reading the strange language of the play, I had no idea what he was talking about. But as I got more immersed into the play and some of the meaning was explained, I realized that I really loved this language and how strange it is to go from reading this beautiful language to talking in the way modern people talk today. I think that Shakespeare’s stories stay relevant today because he isn’t talking about subjects strictly towards that time period, his topics are universal, and something everyone can relate to. The comedy stays fresh throughout history, some of the jokes you can see are used today in sit-coms, and so are some of the plot lines. Now I know why people call Shakespeare a genius.
    In “Taming of the Shrew”, Shakespeare uses a lot of concealed identity. I think this is used to add more humor and sarcasm than there already is. It makes the audience shake their heads and laugh as the character Lucentio goes further with his hair-brained scheme to switch places with Tranio and even create a fake father, just to get the love of Bianca. It tells you how much a guy will go for a girl. It also has humor in how it’s a play within a play, which the drunken man Sly suddenly wakes up in a castle, being told that he is a Lord, which is part of a silly prank. There is some dialogue while he and his “servants” are watching the play, which has some funny sarcasm along with that as well.

• Hailey says:

Sophie,
      I agree with everything that you’re saying. “The Taming of the Shrew” was also the first play that I read by Shakespeare and I agree that it was hard to follow his language at first, but then once you got into the story, you understand it. I see what you mean about Shakespeare’s plays being connected to sit-coms today, in their use of comedy, and in TV shows and movies. I agree that he definitely was a genius.

• Austin says:

Sophie,
        i completely agree with you words. Its difficult to understand the concept of his language. I never knew that could refer unnecessary parts as swords,bows, and arrows.

• Janelle says:

Sophie,
      I really love how you state your opinions. I know I really like Shakespeare, but i never thought of just how relevant it is today in this day and age. And you’re right; Shakespeare is so hard to understand in the beginning as the story unfolds. I like how you go into such detail about Lucentio and Tranio’s switch. Your post was lots of fun to read, thank you.

• Cassandra says:

You put a lot of effort in this I can tell. Shakespeare is a genuis because as we read this I just want to continue reading it because we are only getting to the good part now where Kate is now married and living the most horrible life. Her husband disrespects her and mistreats her. I can’t even talk about this anymore it is such a disgrace!!!

• Rudolph says:

This is also the first time reading a Shakespeare story. It is a great story and amazing to even have it. We have had it for hundreds of years. Its amazing

• Brice says:

I agree shakespear is an amazing writer. I can’t emagine where we would be if noone discovered shakespears palys. You said that most of the TV shows today seeem like the plays he wrote. I think that the TV shows are basically copying the plot of the plays. You also say he adds characters to make it more funny, and i agree. How funny would a play be with only two-four acters?

• Daniel says:

Sophie, I like how you used some attributes, such as Power and Greed, that are problems in many countries, as well as in many T.V. shows. Also, I thought it was interesting how you said that adding the concealed identity was funnier than what the play was before.

3. Janelle says:

Although I had heard of Shakespeare plenty and know many of the plot lines of his stories, I had never actually been given the opportunity before, so the first of his masterpieces that I was able to actually read was “The Taming of the Shrew”. When I first started reading “The Taming of the Shrew”, I thought I was going to be absolutely awestruck. Unfortunately, at first, this was not the case. I was disappointed that I couldn’t understand a lot of the plot without instruction, but I think that the real turning point for me was when Katharina and Petruchio first interact. As I was reading it I was captivated by the intense wordplay that I could barely keep up. It’s amazing how he was able to think of such seemingly unattainable creativity. I could have had years to attempt to create that scene and still never would have done it justice. I know I certainly thought him an undeniable genius, but I began wondering about how others really defined him, and more about his life. Although I normally don’t prefer to use wikipedia, I felt I would be able to attain the most opinions on his writing this way. Here is the link that I used.

As it turns out, William Shakespeare actually did marry a woman name Anne Hathaway, as I checked on multiple other websites. There may be others who think of this as common knowledge, but I didn’t know a thing about it and thought it interesting. I am interested to find out more about this wonderful person and about his writing style. I am so delighted that we are able to read “The Taming of the Shrew” before the end of the year and I intend to read many other works of his over the summer vacation.

I believe that if Shakespeare did not intend multiple vantage points for concealed identity, it certainly turned out that way. I believe that it not only multiplies the comedic portion of confusion and madness pursuing the characters, but it also creates a sense of vitality to never let your guard down while reading for fear you could miss the biggest punch line of them all. Many would describe themselves as outgoing because they used this art maybe once, but I both admire and respect the way Shakespeare always uses just enough to not only keep you on your toes, but to keep you laughing too. I believe it most certainly adds to the plot and excitement of his plays. I also believe that his plot-within-a-plot could be identified as concealed identity as well. It is almost as one plot is just a person attempting to create the illusion that it is the one true plot that you should devote all your attention to it. I thought I knew why the called Shakespeare a genius before, but I had no idea what I was getting into. If I have a hard time keeping up while just reading it, I can only imagine what was going through it mind when he was creating it.

• Ashley says:

Janelle,
      You always go above and beyond with your work! It really shows! When I had looked at how much you had written I was skeptical, but I read it anyways. And to my surprise, it was worth reading all that! Great job! Your look on Shakespeare is quit like mine, so in a way I guess you could say we view him in some of the same ways! “Taming of the Shrew” is an amazing book, and I’m glad Mr. Stewart introduced it to us!

• Brandon says:

Janelle,
      I also have only heard of Shakespeare but never had the chance to read any of his poems. So “Taming of the Shrew” was my first one too. I was also surprised by the word play because he did all that in the 1590’s! He was such a genius with his word play.

4. Austin says:

Shakespeare has written and performed his ideas in countless ways. He expresses love, comedy, and drama like I have never seen. Honestly, his language can be stressful to read. Most likely because of my young age. But after the introduction of his play, Taming of the Shrew, his literature became enjoyable to read. It was then that I realized William had talent, amazing talent. He combines all of his language to create a masterpiece that has been remembered for over FOUR HUNDRED years, and I am sure his work will continue to be a literary influence for the years to come.
    In “Taming of the Shrew,” I must say I found his use of mistaken identities the most entertaining. You have seen Tranio, Lecentio, Petruchio, (and I believe Hortensio) striding for 2 young ladies. None of which have had any success. Not even Petruchio who is being married to a woman (Katherina) who does not wish for it. This has ADDED much humor to his work and includes more drama to the play. Because not only are all these men going after two women and failing, but they are also using each other’s identities/fake identities to do so! Shakespeare must have known this would draw more attention and entertainment to his play, which is a good reason why he would use it. At any rate, Shakespeare truly thinks outside of the box.

• Jamie says:

Austin,
      I have found the same thing. Shakespeare does have amazing talent and his language usage dosen’t seem so foreign now that we have been reading it.
      The play “Taming of the Shrew” is very comical and is extremely puzzling in the sense of how William Shakespeare came up with these ideas of plays inside of plays. On the other hand it is a very great idea.
      Great post!

• Ashley says:

Austin,
      I loved reading this. Your ideas were spot on in my opinion and overall outlook on Shakespeare was just about the same as mine. I even wish you had wrote more so I could read on! Shakespeare was a genius in disguise, someone I wish i could meet. He is different, creative, crazy, yet original. In some ways I really look up to him and what he has done. He has set the rank in writing, and I think all readers who want to get somewhere should look to him for an amazing example.

• Jonas says:

Austin, great posts with some great ideas. I think that we all have the same idea about Shakespear and how he thinks outside the box. One of the things that I didnt like about the play was the language. His writing style was good but the language made no sense to me due to new english and how we are educated in the 21st century. Great post.

• Paul says:

Austin, this is very true and this something I have relized but there is something things that I don’t agree with like how it became more enjoyable to read.

• Mark says:

I like what you said about Shakespeare because he is a big influence towards our modern English classes

• Sierra says:

His language could be very stressful to read at times. Like you said he is like nothing else that I have ever read before. Very, very good writer.

5. Hailey says:

Shakespeare’s plays have been around for longer than anyone could even imagine. I think that his plays have lasted so long and been so famous because of the way they were written. Anyone who reads Shakespeare obviously finds it different, because it is. Shakespeare, in my opinion is a brilliant writer. The way he writes is very memorable and different. Even though his writing style is a bit hard to follow, once you get used to the rhythm of it it’s very interesting and fun to read. William Shakespeare’s work and style has never gone out of style because I don’t think it was ever in style to begin with. Did people back in the 1590’s really talk like “O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy farther and refuse thy name” (written by William Shakespeare in the play “Romeo and Juliet”.) Did they really talk like that back then, or is that just how it was in all of his plays? Also I think his plays are still relevant because, his writing style is so unique it’s hard to forget. Shakespeare was very, very talented, not to mention that the plays he wrote had amazing story lines. “The Taming if the Shrew” was the first play of Shakespeare that I have read, however a couple of years ago my favorite movie was “Romeo and Juliet”. I think that this was my favorite movie for a while because it was so different from modern times and something that you don’t see everyday. Now, that we are reading “The Taming of the Shrew” you can really see all of the thought and detail that he put into his words, which you wouldn’t see in his movies.

Shakespeare used concealed identities, which make him even more of a brilliant writer. Many writers in the present time aren’t as creative as Shakespeare was. Most of them just stick to a set theme with a couple of main characters, that’s another reason on why Shakespeare is still relevant, because his writing was so unique and original. The writers these days have nothing even close as exciting as Shakespeare’s work. In his play, “The Taming of the Shrew” he has lots of concealed identities. Even though he has many of them, I think it just makes his plays more interesting and fun to read along with. They made the stories more suspenseful, interesting, and more chaotic than they would be without a concealed identity. In most, almost all of his plays have concealed identities; some of them are just on different levels. For example, in “Romeo and Juliet” the two main characters Romeo and Juliet meet each other, they just don’t know that the opposite one is from the family of their enemy. So, there is a concealed identity, just not too much of an extent. I definitely think concealed identities add to his plays.

• Paige says:

I agree with the part that his writing is differently but it’s almost as if he is getting credit for writing that way when the people in the 1500’s also spoke that way from time to time and was very common. There were many other writers in this time period that had written great things just like Shakespeare like John Bunyan. People don’t see these writers being so known like Shakespeare when they have done things like this and have created many great pieces but are not as known.

• Kelly says:

I agree with you Paige. Why aren’t others during the same time as Shakespeare just as known as him? I think that it just had to do with something on how he had the plays be performed/the personalities of the people and the stores as well. But you’re absolutely right! Why aren’t there others just as popular as Shakespeare’s work? I know that there were others that had just outstanding writing talents during that time. And it really is a sad thought that their work hasn’t been as acknowledged as William…

6. Paige says:

The magical language of Shakespeare is not only confusing and beautiful but quite funny and odd. Shakespeare in my strong opinion is only known for his special use of language and not really for his plays and how they are acted at or the story behind them. I say this because Shakespeare spoke many different types of languages/wrote in different languages which some were common. In the website below explains further what language was being used most commonly in that time period. Shakespeare in my honest opinion was only being known for his thought of use in language and how to propose the play in such ways. The story behind it, yes is known because the language is very powerful and upbringing. It’s a challenge which allows us to sit and try to understand how that character is feeling throughout these events. It’s not the people who played the roles or what happens to these characters but the way the speak, act, and present their performance. I will admit that his use of language or the use of language in the 1500’s is so beautiful! The sad thing is, is that our language has gone down completely and now our words are just being made up day by day. I wish that the 1500’s language was still around to this day due to it’s use and pronunciation.
    The way that Shakespeare wrote this play specifically to confuse the viewers to have them think about it and to keep up with what is going on. He probably wanted them to think hard about this and try to make their minds think outside the box and try to be creative in their own minds. To think in their own ways to make them believe that they can do what he can do by thinking so much more differently than someone else could have thought of the play by.

“Answers.com – Did people really speak the way they did in Shakespeare’s plays.” WikiAnswers – The Q&A wiki. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2011. <http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_people_really_speak_the

• Sierra says:

I love the way you put funny and odd in your blog because it describes his language perfectly! I don’t think there is any better way to describe his language.

7. Jamie says:

Shakespeare’s language seems froeign untill you get used to reading it and understanding the words such as, “Art Thou” and “cometh my darling.” I believe that Shakespeare has immense talent to put together these words and make sense of all of them. He flows his sentences really well and even adds in a little comedy.
    The play “Taming of the Shrew” is about three suitors that are trying to win Bianca’s heart. Baptista (Bianca’s and Kathrina’s father) says that Bianca is not to be married untill his oldest daughter, Kathrina is married. He also says that no men are allowed to see Bianca or Kathrina unless they are tutors. Hortensio, Lucentio, and Gremio are all fighting over Bianca. Petruchio is in love with Kathrina. Everything fails with Petrutchio and Kathrina because he calls her “Cake” instead of Kate and he plays around with words to try and “woo” her. Petruchio tells Baptista that all went well and he was planning to marry her on Sunday. Now since Kathrina is getting married against her will, Bianca’s suitors are in the game! Gremio is an elderly suitor, Hortensio is a rich suitor who is posing as Lucio the music teacher to try and “woo” Bianca. Lucentio is a young rich suitor who poses to be Cambio Bianca’s Latin Teacher. Tranio is a false Lucentio and Biondello is assisting Tranio with his immpersionation.
    While all of this is going on, (this is outside the play and he is not a character in te play) a drunk man by the name of Sly passed out drunk on the bar floor and a lord comes in and finds him. The lord says that they should play a prank on this poor drunk man. Their plan was to take Sly to the lords castle and dress him in the finest clothes, bath him, dress Bartholomew (a man) as his wife, Bring him delicious meals and house him in the finest quarters of the castle so that when Sly wakes up he will be convincened that he is a lord. All goes as planned and Sly wakes up and is satisfied and tells his wife to join him at this play. (Which is where Hortensio, Lucentio, and Gremio all come into play!)

8. William says:

Shakespeare is a talent to understand during the present and is highly recommended to listen to. As a way to understand things we learn them through going through one his plays. It is fun to read and perform. As of this decade not everyone is as interested in Shakespeare. I like Shakespeare personally. I am not sure of others on this subject.

The disguising of the characters in the plays during the 1600’s was because women had not really been excepted into society at the time. Deception was quite common in plays at the time of Shakespeare. The reason is not yet known to me but I believe it was to make people excited. Shakespeare was good at making people on the edge of their seats because of the disguises.

• Shazad says:

Nice Will, but can you describe how Shakespeare’s deception his one of his best strong points, and just revise, get people to read it before sumiting your post. I know what you’re saying, but try to add detail.

• Luke says:

William-
      I also agree with you about liking Shakespeare. He is yet funny and also serious. My blog can relate to how because I agree with you and that it. Try to have more detail in your blogs so that we can get more detail and information out of it. It was a pretty good job but this is you last blog for the rest of the year.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Pretty vague post. I’m not sure what your real opinions are or if you truly understand Shakespeare based on what you wrote. Could you be more specific?

9. Ashley says:

Throughout my years of being engaged in school, I have heard about Shakespeare, but have never read something of his. When Mr. Stewart told the class we were going to be reading a story of Shakespeare’s, I was actually excited to see what it was going to be like and how my mind would wrap around it. Reading “Taming of the Shrew”, I have learned something about Shakespeare through his writing and written use. He seems to have taken interest in romance, of course, but in the mix of all that he does strange things with adding in humor and suspense. Overall a summed up great story. He writes in old language , but I happen to really like that, even though it can be something very challenging to read. When i hear it being read I can picture the scene in my mind, somewhat like a medieval kind of thing. I think Shakespeare’s writing has stayed so relevant because his stories mean something. When I say that I mean people get so wrapped around his work and take so much interest in it that they will try and do whatever they can to hear, learn about it. Shakespeare is one of the most famous writers of all time, although he lived 400 years ago, something about him and his work are still living. You could about any educated person in the world and they would know who he is. Here is a pretty cool site i found with a ton of information about him. http://www.shakespeare-online.com/
    “Taming of the Shrew”, includes some of Shakespeare’s comedic side. Kate and Bianca are too lovely ladies, but many men want one of them so it’s like piecing a puzzle together to see how everything turns out. Shakespeare disguises people for others, when really they are the original person. So many people engage in things like this because it’s not only humorous, but thrilling and exciting to watch. Shakespeare is truly a master with doing things like taking part in the use on concealed identity. So far this play has been very engaging for myself for this reason, therefore I think he does a very well job of enhancing the play with his usage of it.

• Sophie says:

Ashley,
      I loved how you described Shakespeare’s concealed identity. I also was pretty excited to read “The Taming of the Shrew” and it was my first Shakespeare play that I have read. Great post!

• Rex says:

I love how you said that it is like a “piecing puzzle”. Great simile! This is my first time reading a Shakespeare play. What do you know.

10. Jonas says:

In my opinion, I dont really care much for Shakespeare’s writing. I cant really explain why other than I do not find very much enjoyment from reading them. He is a very talented writer that has set the bar on writing forever. Taming of the shrew was okay due to the fact that he used such good writing styles and was able to bring the characters to life and put a really good story to back up the play. The way that he stays in business today is that his writing is so perfect that people will buy it to make themselves better writers and to compare their work to his. His writing style to mask the identities of the characters in taming of the shrew was great because it gave the element of mystery to the play and made the audience think more about what was going to happen next in the story, so I think that is a great writing style. The only downside I had to this play is all of the rhyming that he used. There is only one thing I cant stand to hear in a play or liturature is rhyming. So I think this story can add up to being a pretty good play with all of the different writing styles that Shakespear used but the only thing that I think is a downside to the story is the rhyming.

11. Luke says:

In my whole life that I have lived I have not been able to understand any of shake spears writing. Well to be hones the only play that I have herded of was Romeo and Juliet and I didn’t understand why they were in “love” because at the time I believed that girls had “cuties.” Anyways now that I have read one of his books I’ve connected to it and under stood it quiet well.
    “Taming of the shrew.” In my opinion it was one of the best stories that I have ever read in my life time. It was a little bit to on the love side but know that I have read and understood what Shakespeare is about I know what he is trying to say. Even if it is not adventurous and mysterious I really enjoyed reading the book. My prospective of Shakespeare’s writing is romantic and love. In taming of the shrew he write about how three guys are trying to fall in love with Binkia the finest lady of them all and they do their best to be with her but the dad Baptista gets in their way to prevent that from happening.
    Baptista the dad of the lovely madden made her stay inside and only the tutors would be able to see her. So the two guys wanted to see her so badly but the dad would not allow it. So then Luchentio went in and thought her how to write and hortencio thought her how to be a musician. The sneaky part in this is that hortencio was in a disguise the whole time so that he could be my and talk to her without her dada thinking that he was not wealthy enough for her. But all in all Hortencio is a big liar and does not deserve her.
    I feel that his plays are still here in this time period because they are amazing plays. They all can teach us kids, young men, and adults how to live our lives. 400 years is a very long time to have around a book but you have got to recognize that they did not have all of the brains that we have today. I m glad that we have his writing here still because I look forward to reading more of his magnificent work.
    Questions-
    How long did it take to write all of your plays?
    Did you relate to any of the romantic ones?
    Out of all of these years why did you keep writing, and what was your passion to persuade you to write?

12. Trevor says:

Personally, I really don’t like the writing in “Taming of the Shrew” for a few different reasons and I don’t really care for how it was written or the plot because the play was kind of hard to follow. I think the reason it has lasted so long is because others actually like it and it had a positive response from people who saw the play or read the book. I think the way he used concealed identities was clever and that he used it because it was unique, interesting, and to my knowledge the first time it was incorporated into a play. I think it makes the play different for the reader or viewer and it entices people because of how unique it is. I can’t quite think of any drawbacks besides confusion among very few people, like myself, who might be watching or reading the play.

• William says:

I have to disagree about this. It would seem your way of seeing it is different then mine.But I like the way you express your opinion it shows that still like things like this just not “taming of the shrew”.

• Luke says:

Trevor-
      I would have to disagree with you. I really enjoyed reading the play even if it was a tad bit boring; it was still funny at some parts. Just like you said it was unique and interesting but I feel that if you saw the play you would actually like it. It may have not been your style of writing at all but you have to open up a little more, and maybe you would know if you really like or dislike it. Also, maybe I am just liking the book and forcing you to want to like it. Good blog this week. Way to end the year strong.

• Paige says:

Trevor,
      Good job this week! I feel as if you should have at least made this post a bit longer and try to give more detail about why you did not enjoy the writing of “Taming of the Shrew”. In my opinion, I feel as if the thought of the idea of the play and how often this occurs in real life situations was pretty good at keeping the concept.

• Steven says:

I agree with you that it was kinda hard to follow, but that was only because of the kind of writing Shakespeare used. However, to me the play was not boring because it taught me that you should never fake being yourself because one day it will get “funny.” To me it got funny when Vinchentio met Vinchentio. This happened because Luchentio was trying to get a fake dad so he could marry Bianca. In order to understand these plays you need to be open minded with the context of the play and you need to imagine the play in your head as you read. Overall, your post has great constructive criticism about the play.

• Austin says:

I admire your honesty Trevor, but I thought you were gone some of the days we read the story. When you had to catch up with us, you probably had to read the parts you missed silently. But like what Mr. Stewart said, Shakespeare is much easier to follow when read aloud. I can assure you that if you were there to hear the play aloud, it would have been much more enjoyable.

13. Cassandra says:

Actually now that you mention it, this is my first time reading a play by the noble and humorous Shakespeare. I can tell you this that I never knew a guy like him who lived around the 1500’s would be amusing – FUNNY actually! I’m glad Mr. Stewart showed us this before hand because in high school he said we would be learning more about him, which I’m very ecstatic. There were others I’ve heard like, “Romeo & Juliet,” or, “ Hamlet.” By far the best I think, well heard is, “Romeo & Juliet.” What happens is that Romeo and Juliet meet each other and fall in love with each other at an instant, but they are an unrequited love and then… If you want to find out what happens next tell your language art teacher or anybody else to tell you what happens next, or read this:
    http://www.shmoop.com/romeo-and-juliet/summary.html . What troubles me in Shakespeare’s plays is his old antiquated language this is what confuses me the most as he says “thou” or “Forsooth”, but once you read it for a few days you get to understand it more than you did before. So how is it relevant you say? Well its been four centuries I would guess would have forgotten it but I guess not because If people didn’t know of him I wouldn’t be talking about him right now. Anyways Shakespeare deals with love and loss and wit and also a bit of comedy. It compares too today’s comedy TV shows or so called, “Sit-coms,” some of the plot lines you can notice are used to.
    In, “Taming of the Shrew’” I notice he use concealed identity a lot because it’s a play in a play how much more detailed can I go into. Well I think he does this because well you don’t want your audience to think that,” Wow, I spent an hour reading this and it tells me nothing.” No not at all, well what Shakespeare did he not also put some tragedy in there but also to keep the audience laughing. Like some characters play girl characters or as one character Lucentio pretends to be Traino so he can make Bianca his forever, and I wouldn’t know any guy would go that far for a girl, which makes it even more romantic. As for Kate I feel so sorry to marry such a shameless guy that just wants her money. He even forces her to fast, which I think is a cruel and an unusual punishment.

14. Shazad says:

To be honest Shakespeare’s writen style freaks me out, but when you understand his lung you understand the play itself. What I mean is “The Taming of the Shrew” was the first Shakespeare I read in my life, now I heard other plays he wrote. His plays have a sur-tane talent that no one should try to reconstruct, for instance “The Taming of the Shrew” has drama, hysterical hummer, and a constructed story with a plot with a plot. In my honest opinion how do you describe William Shakespeare.

• Shazad says:

Also, in “The Taming of the Shrew” William gives hummer such as, in side oddiance (sly commits), cleaver wit and rhymes (Perturchio rhymes to Katherine to win her heart.)

• Tyler says:

William does give humor to relate to his generation and some that relates to ours. Some of his work I find to be weird due to the fact that this play was written in his time period.

15. Elijah says:

Personaly I think Shakespear is increadably boring and long. Shakespear seems to use huge words.Taming of the shrew is espacialy boring to me because its about a bunch of dudes trying to get a horrible woman to like them. I dispise love stories and romances along with drama’s at all . my opinion is that he wrote the play when he was drunk. But William Shakespear is a talented man who did write good plays . If only i cuold understand those confusing words.

• Sophie says:

Elijah, I don’t think you have the right storyline. I know that its your opinion and I respect that, but I can assure it is not about a bunch of dudes trying to get a horrible woman to like them.

• Seth says:

Elijah I think you have the wrong story line “Taming of the Shrew” is nothing like that.

• Elijah says:

It was hard for me to pay attention to the story so i to belive i had the wrong story line. but I did read Romeo and Julliet and i liked it sorry for not follwing or paying attentio well.

16. Valerie says:

Ever since I had heard of “Romeo and Juliet” and all about what goes on in it, I have wanted to read a Shakespear play. “The Taming of the Shrew” is my first Shakespear play, and it isn’t all what i had expected it to be. The words are hard to understand, sometimes the plot gets confusing, but other than that I have enjoyed the play. What I have to remember is that the plays were written over 400 years ago, and they used different languge, had different morals, and had different ways of doing things. Shakespears unique sense of comedy, romance and sometimes suspense shows throughout the whole play. Probally the most confusing thing in Shakespear’s work is the use of concealed identities throughout the plays. Sometimes it is hard to have to remeber that one person is another. For me, it would be like getting a new name and still responding to your old one. Shakespear does an amazing job of explaining to the audience of who is who and this makes it easier to understand. Shakespear is a magnificant writer and he does awesome things to keep the audience up with the plays. I enjoy his work and am excited to read more in the futre.

17. Rex says:

I know that 400 years ago they spoke in a different way than we do now. I understand that Shakespeare has many different, amazing plays and that “The Taming of the Shrew” is supposed to be one of them. At the beginning, I had no clue what was going on because of the long words, paragraphs, and it seemed like they were speaking French or whatever instead of English. Now I understand it mostly. From time to time I have to think a bit about what they were saying. However, Shakespeare’s writing is wonderful. I especially like the names he gives people. Petruchio, Lucentio, and Hortensio. I love pronouncing them in an Italian accent. Anyway, the story is not a Rex type of story because I’m not a whole lot in love with the romance stuff but the bits which add humor, like whenever Sly speaks up, are fun. Shakespeare’s work is world known and has great writing skills and his work needs good credit because I don’t think his plays are all rough drafts.
    The whole false identity gag was pretty humorous at times. Sometimes it could be a little confusing. Like when Lucentio is disguised as a tutor, then his double has a fake father. I kind of go “Who is who again?”. Most of the time I get it though. What surprises me though is that Baptista doesn’t figure out that they are all other people so I figure he must be a little short in the brains department. The best disguise has to be the person acting as Sly’s wife. Hilarious!

18. Rudolph says:

Reading Shakespeare’s 400 year old work is a gift. He must have been truly popular for us to carry on his work for 400 hundred years. I’m sure that top movies that come out today, will be forgotten in 20 years. I am truly grateful to be reading his stuff. You can tell how things were different back then from now. By the way they talk and they act. They were much more… um… Prude? Or much more mannered. They talk very “rich”. Very deep words.
    I think the way he uses these characters, and how he sets up the story is a really amazing thing. He must have just dreamed about these stories. They are great! This is my first Shakespeare story to read and its great! He really knows how to set up the plot and the setting along with the characters. He was a truly talented person and I cant wait to read more about him and of him, meaning his stories.

• Madison says:

Rudy, Your right is does feel like a gift. Maybe in twenty years we won’t be able to read any of his work, and that would be truly tragic. I also talking about the way he spoke such power in his vocanulary! Outstanding!

19. Tyler says:

When I think of Shakespear I think of olden medevil times along with castles, jousting, and knights. After hearing these poems from the past few years I feel William has a strong brilliant mind for this art of writing and performing. These plays include a type of english culture and conflict that people face today and have up through the years. Everyone has a sence of humor and feel the power of romance. I think these plays have stuck around because people are amazed at the connection between these to cultures and two separate time periods and the fact we still have the same thoughts and actions after about 500 years. Shakespears written style is to bring the audience and or reader into the action of the play and represent a common conflict the people may interact with on a daily basis. I think people feel better about their conflict if it’s being performed of happening to other people. I think this is still being tought in the classrooms so the teachers can present to their students the corrilation between these two cultures and how we think and handle situations day by day and the fact it’s well written art.
    The use of false identity was probibly add to the play to rise the conflict and sense of humor. Having the thought that the character being tricked dosent realize that they are being tricked and interacting will a false identity.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Good post Tyler. I assure you that the more you read Shakespeare, the more you will understand him. I always felt that human connection, too. I guess I felt reassured to know that people 400 years ago dealt with a lot of the same dilemmas and problems that we deal with in the modern day (minus the technology and etc.).

20. Brice says:

I have never encountered one of Shakespears plays, however i always hear about them from my family, friends, and school teachers. When i think of his plays being written in the 1590’s, over 400 years ago, i think of bad english and midevil times. To just think of these plays surviving for over 400 years, and still being accepted as the best written play ever is just amazing. However these plays never could still be accepted as the best if there was nothing special about them. He is a very good writer, and is very good at conceling identities, and making suspense. He makes you think. This is very special in writing. That is why i think that the plays are still here today.Shakespeare’s use of concealed identity in “Taming of the Shrew”, was very new and interesting to me. Why i think he chosee to do is was, to confuse and make the audience think. This adds exitement to the play. It may also take away some of the plot.

• 167290 says:

Brice,
      I think that shakespeare uses so many disguises is to see how the other characters react to the same person without even knowing it. I disagree with you when you said that shakespeare wanted them to think about his plays harder because he knew that this would not appeal to his audience.

• Heather says:

I agree if there wasn’t anything special about his plays no one would care about them nor would they have survived over 400 years.

• Rachel says:

Brice,
      I can’t believe that his plays have survived this long either! I also think that Shakespeare had a very special skill with writing because the way he wrote was just amazing and it just dragged you into the story more and more. Very excellent post!

21. Seth says:

My first encounter with shakespere was this year with “Taming of the Shrew”. The shrew was a very mean shrew at that. The story was corny at times with the Elizabeathen english. I like the comedy that he used but when Mr. Stewart explains how some things go it made a huge difference to me and understanding how he wrote. Personally the play took place at some of the same places at different times in the story. The reason I think they stayed around so long is the abundance of people who saw the originals.

Shakespere is very good at the aspect of concealing identidies. He makes the scenes seem very real.

• Christina says:

I agree Seth that the story was corny at time, and it has some strange humor in it, but I am still very glad we got to read this and it will come in handy for high school.

22. Paul says:

I am going to be honest. Since I read “The Taming of the Shrew” i have hated his plays even more than before. I thought it was way too confusing and if you blank out for a minute then you will be confused for the rest of the play. I also think that his plays are not funny. They are called comedies and there is nothing funny about them.

• Britta says:

Paul you are correct. But some people love his work and I happen to be one of them. I have to admit I did get confused at times but just because you get confused doesn’t mean that you have to hate work. If you dig deeper inside his work you will realize that there is a lesson to be learned in every single play he wrote.

• Carmine says:

Paul,
      I agree with you I didn’t like Shakespeare at all. I don’t know how people like his work. I didn’t know his plays were suppose to be funny.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Interesting thoughts. one thing you are missing, Paul is a discussion as to why Shakespeare uses the concealed (or disguised) identities so often here.
      Part of this confusion is probably due to the fact that we read this over the course of two weeks, instead of seeing it performed in a two hour show. The readers were not trained actors, so you were hearing people struggle through the lines rather than speak them with fluidity.
      Also, I could have done a better job of providing a graphic organizer so you knew which characters were whom and what they were all trying to do.

To base all of your opinion of Shakespeare to what you heard read in an 8th grade LA class is a shallow base to build upon. It would be like me basing my opinion of the sport of basketball on my one experience of watching five year-olds playing the game. The game itself is beautiful and entertaining when in the hands of capable athletes, so I shouldn’t base my entire opinion of the sport of what I see in that game, no?

23. Madison says:

1. For me personally I think Shakespear is the best writer this world has ever known. His stinging, romantic words suck you into the story. I have read some of the plays such as Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, and now Taming of the Shrew. All of these plays have the romantic aspect, which I think is why it has lasted for 400 years. Some how we see ourselves relating to the plays. For example in Taming of the Shrew Luccincio went under cover to be wit his love, now a days we pretend to be some one else over text message, yet we still make the connection.

2. In Taming of the Shrew Shakespear conceals the identity of most of the actors. By concealing the identity of the main characters he gave it a refreshing twist that made the story interesting. I found the Taming of the Shrew to be more of a comedy. After a year of depressing books it was nice reading something that made everyone laugh. Overall Shakespear’s plays are inspiring, dramatic, funny, and tragic.

24. Isaac says:

This was my first Shakespeare play I have heard. I enjoyed the humor and unsuspected twists at the end but it was hard for me to follow at times and Mr. Stewart had to explain some of the jokes before we got them. I mostly had trouble understanding what was going on at times because of Shakespeare written style, old English. After a while I got acquainted to some of the words and towards the end of the play I could understand it more. I think this was good preparation for next year, and I’m glade we read it.

• Austin says:

I hate it when someone has to explain a joke to you. It seems to ruin the comedy if you cannot understand the language used. I completely understand your frustration, Isaac. But you are right when you say we need the preparation for our freshman year.

25. Britta says:

So far my whole experience on Shakespeare has not been the best. I love his work, it’s absolutely astounds me, but it’s had to understand at times. I’ve never read Shakespeare before this. To me Shakespeare’s plays are a lot like the book Pride and Prejudice. The first time I read that book I couldn’t understand anything that they were talking about so after almost every sentence I had to ask my mom or dad, “What the heck does this mean? or What in the world are they talking about?” So, when I read this I was so grateful that Mr. Stewart stopped us and explained to us what they were trying to say. After he explained I was thinking to myself ohh that’s what they meant.
    To me Shakespeare’s source of “concealed identities” was pretty interesting. He was trying to tell people that you don’t really have to pretend to be someone your not. You should just be open to the world and be ready to stand up and say, “this is who I really am.” Although in this story that’s not the case. In this story you had to be someone else to get the girl. So everyone is pretending to be someone they’re not. Then the real person comes in and says, “What the heck is going on here?” And then there’s this whole dispute going on of trying to figure out who the real person is and who’s the fraud. So really Shakespeare’s source of people trying to be someone else is very well written but it gets people into a whole lot of trouble.

26. Carmine says:

After my first Shakespeare experience I disliked the play. I just might not like the play, “Taming of the Shrew” but, I hope I like his other plays. The play was very confusing trying to remember who is who and who likes who. The names of the characters got confusing as well. At times it was hard to understand what he is trying to say because of the words he used. I don’t understand why he is considered one of the best play writers ever. I understand that this is made for people along time ago to enjoy, and the peoples interests have changed over the years. I am glad that we didn’t have a test on this because I had no clue of what was going on. I just hope that I understand this in high school.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Carmine,
      See my reply to Paul above.

• Anthony says:

I understand where you’re coming from, especially the part in high school; that’s not gonna be much fun. I think maybe if you would have just paid a little more attention to the beginning of the story, you would have been able to understand. I agree with the question of how he is the best play writer ever. I suppose we’ll both be seeing more of him in high school, maybe it’ll get better (Wishful thinking).

27. Anthony says:

I truthfully did not quite enjoy it. As Carmine said; it seemed like a lot of extra drama and confusion. I was able to follow it, but I felt like I shouldn’t have needed to… try. If there’s anything I try to stay away from in real life; it’s drama. Granted I do a terrible job at staying away from it, (partially cause of my friends. *Wink wink*) but I certainly don’t go looking for it. Reading Shakespeare to me is like looking for drama. Whether it be killing yourself because your lover was banished for killing his best friend after he tried to kill your brother, (or whatever Romeo and Juliet is about. Never read it, just a guess) or getting your servant to disguise himself as you while you act as his servant and some girl’s teacher at the same time finding someone to marry her older sister is irrelevant. As for why it has stayed relevant is a total mystery to me. I suppose it’s the same way with music, I know someone who practically only ever listens to classics like Ozzy or Guns n’ Roses. I think you have to want to like Shakespeare to like it.

I certainly agree with the word choice Mr. Stewart used; “rampant”. I think whether or not it adds to the play or takes away is completely dependent on the person who reads it. Some people can’t follow it; it’s too confusing to have two Lucentios and two Tranios, or a Hortensio and a music teacher. For those that can follow it, it can make the story enjoyable in the sense that it seems impossible that this would ever happen or work. I think what really surprised me was that through Petruchio starving Katharina and depriving her of sleep she was “tamed”. I personally wouldn’t read more on my own, but it was okay when I was forced.

• Mollie says:

I agree Anthony,
      The drama and confusion made it hard for me to focus and understand the play. I actually enjoyed reading it though it showed me that I probably won’t read it unless I am forced again.

• Matt says:

I agree absolutely, the whole drama thing was rather boring to me personally and at times it become boring and confusing. Although the writing is really great except the story line wasn’t for me.

• Hayden says:

I agree with you Anthony. The drama and mixed identities created a lot of confusion. For me, the play was boring but a little humorous at some parts. Shakespear is a great writer, but a very boring one as well.

28. Steven says:

Shakespeare is an amazing writer whether you agree or not. Someone who can have their writings known for hundreds of years deserves some recognition. Although this is my first play I have read by him, I have heard many other good things about his other plays. My brother told me that Hamlet was one of his favorite plays while a friend of mine told me that Romeo and Juliet was their favorite play. I think that some people have Shakespeare favorites because of its context and morale. Before the 1900’s, The Taming of the Shrew’s morale and context was that a women should help care for her husband. However, in the 1960’s this was proven wrong because men and women were starting to take care of the household. This happened because both man and woman were getting jobs causing this play to be unequal. Luckily, this context change in his other plays did not change over time or else we would never hear of them as much as we do today.

I think that Shakespeare put a lot of concealed identities in “Taming of the Shrew” to make it more interesting. When you have hidden identities it makes a story more interesting. Especially at the part where Vinchentio meet the fake Vinchentio. This part added a nice twist to the story because Luchentio’s real dad was no even “in” the plan. This caused some confusing and one character even recommended that he should go to jail. These identities should be in every comedy from now on because they add a nice twist and in some cases it can even be funny.

29. Mark says:

Shakespeare is an incredible writer of plays. I have never experienced a play as well as “Taming of the Shrew”. Shakespeare found a way to mix real life problems into a romantic comedy which I enjoy. The only problem was the English because the way it is written confuses me every once and a while. I get stuck on a couple of the words and miss some of the play. On the other side Shakespeare is known everywhere around the world because his plays that were written 400 years ago are still popular and put into movies. I like how he changes the problem in the story very often because it changes your opinion a lot. He put many years into his work and he is known as a genius.
    Shakespeare was a brilliant man for coming up with ideas for his plays. The one that was really cool was the concealed identities. He used those to make the story more exciting for the audience. It’s almost like it’s the climax of the story when the find out about fake identities. Today’s critics could find Shakespeare’s ideas a bit out of date . In most stories today you don’t hear about fake identities because it could make the book a little weird to our mind. I think the identities idea is used to flip to story to other direction or make to story more exciting.

30. 167290 says:

The fame of shakespeare never seases to amaze me. Ive always asked my teachers and parents who the most famous writer of all time and the first name that always comes to mind is shakespeare. Everyone has atleast heard of his name once or his most famous play, Romeo and Juliet. The first time I ever read a shakespeare play was The “Two Gentlemen of Verona” over the summer. This play was also one of Shakespeares first plays that was written in about 1990 or 1991. In “Taming of the Shrew” shakespeare uses multipul character that are actually only a single character, confusing right. I believe the reason why shakespeare uses so many character and disguises is to capture the comedy in wich the other characters react. In my opinion this is why shakespeare has been around for hundreds of years. For those of you that have not heard of shakespeare or would like to learn more, I posted a link below.

31. 167290 says:

Sorry, above I meant to put written in about 1590 or 1591

32. Heather says:

Shakespeare has a very interesting writing style. I, personally, don’t like his writing that much. His writing is very confusing and hard to follow sometimes. For example in the play “The taming of the Shrew” there are many different people disguising to be other people. Shakespeare has remained popular, even 400 years after he wrote these plays, because no matter how the world changes people still have the same feeling. People still live, laugh, love, and cry. Also, people have either copied or made a more modern version of these stories. He has inspired play writers for centuries.

In shakespeare’s plays he conceals a lot of the charachters which can make the play very hard to follow. The word he uses and his different expressions which already make the play hard to understand, but then he uses all the switched identities. Shakespeare has many great stories, but in my opinion the different identities made “The taming of the shrew” not as good of a storie that it could have been. As I said before it makes the stories confusing.

• Tanner says:

I feel exactly the same way heather. Sure his plays have remained for oover400 years but they are too old. The writing was very complex and the constant character changes were confusing. I can see how some of his plays are very famous until now, but this one wasn’t very great in my eyes.

33. Kelly says:

After we finished reading “Taming of the Shrew”, I thought that it was okay. I thought that he could have done a bit better job describing what happened instead of putting mostly what the characters said. But besides that, I kind of liked it! I think I could have found myself liking it a little bit more if it, again, had more of what happened described in the play. I hope to find Romeo and Juliet and more of his other plays more enjoyable. I know I will. But I was happy to still have read the play. I was very surprised to learn that his work had still been quite popular after more than 400 years! I thought that William’s writings’ were very virtuous and very well wrote when it came to the language’s vocabulary adn really having the characters personalities really come to life. The way that the people acted back then was of course different from how modern life is today. The way that women were “supposed” to treat their husbands. How they were “supposed” to obey them. Have the husbands get whatever they wanted their wives to think! That part surprised me. And I thought how she was being tamed what really tragic! I understand where he was getting from in having his wife open her eyes and respect the things that her husband gave her. But I didn’t understand why he would put her through those horrible things! Starving her, confusing her with ridiculous stories, and not having her sleep! How terrible! Although, I am looking forward to reading more of William’s talented writing, and hope to see many of his plays in the future.

• Mr. Stewart says:

I could have done a better job setting up the scenes. His plays are absent of a lot of stage directions and personal intros. He leaves that to the reader and the performer to interpret.

34. Mollie says:

This was my first time reading a Shakespeare play I have seen many movies and have heard about multiple stories but have never read any. I thought this was very disrespectful to the women in the play they treated them as prizes or belongings. It was also interesting that they would, to impress the women, use alter identities/use a different person. Back then that was really popular so they probably lost a lot of trust in their relationships! I was glad we were able to read this and I am looking forward to reading more in the future to see if he does the identities the same way.

• Jordan says:

A modern perspective might view the closing scene as degrading to women, controversial and almost sexest. Although at the time this was completely normal and thought of as the average house wife. This play was almost guidelines at the time for how wemon should act.

• Chloe says:

I have also hurd about multiple stories but this was my first time reading and it made it hard to understand, but women didnt have rights back then, Its or history.

• Christina says:

I agree with you Mollie about how the ending could have been a little sexist. But things were different back then, and to the people in those times that was normal, but I understand why you would feel that way. Also, I am excited to read more Shakespear too.

35. Jordan says:

I thought The “Taming of the Shrew” was a great introduction to Shakespeare. The story had humor romance and some intense heart racing scenes.He depicted very well about what was happening within the play in a serious matter with and an ingenious theme while still incorperating humor. As of right now that is my favorite play. My favorite scene was was problably the ending scene; Kathrina is completely tamed, and although today this scene is very controversial, the men make a wager and the “shrew” is the best not the prettiest Bianca but Kathrina the “shrew”. In this scene Bianca refuses to come even though she is thought to be the best. Kathrina comes out of the room and not only does she go to her husband but she also brings the other to brides with her and says an entire speach about how men, after all they do for their women, the wife should at least come into the room to greet her husband. She procedes to kneel before her husban who then kisses her and thanks her.

This is my first introduction to shakespear and I already like it if not love the humor it is very detailed. I believe that he is an inspiriation and has inspired many movies. And his storymaking as well as his imagination are all really awesome. I don’t think anyone else could have come up with that story. He is also very smart in the ways that he likes to do three types of poems: historical, tragedy and romance.

36. Jordan says:

I believe he uses false identities to make the croud really think and make a lastin impression about his play on the audience. He is very thoughtful to have thought of having a an actor playing another actor in a play in a play. He likes to make the crowd see the comedy in that as well I think

37. Chloe says:

When i think of Shankspear i think of love romance and people talking like they’ve just learen how to speak. His written style is hard to understand and sometimes hard to read. I do think that what hes trying to get at is good because hes a good writter and he is very funny or very sad.I think that his work has stayed relivent because it shows history. It was very popular and everyone knew shakespear and loved his work, so why change it? i believe that his work is amazingly famous and educational. It’s also staid like this because he was the most popular person in his time and i think that we should give him credit for everything he has given this world.
    Thought out the whole play he shows comedy. I think the way he covers up identity was cool. How boys go up on stange and act like girls seems hard. I think that trying to trick the charactors and awesome. Acting as someone else is hard to do and i honnor how much time they put into it. The would have to take on many characters then at the end reveling everything.

38. Matt says:

In all honesty, I personally did not find Shakespeare’s play “Taming of the Shrew” to be all that great. Personally I found the play to be quite boring and at times I feel that meaning was loss because of use of old English and I was unable to get the full meaning. Although I will say that the plot and the way he setup the scenario of the book is quite impressive. The whole concept of him manipulating a play within a play and making it work was quite impressive. The reason being why is work is still relevant today is because of the way he can set the scene with excellent word choice and overall his concepts of manipulating a story. His ability to incorporate these devices into the play is basically adding a whole new aspect within his writings and plays. I personally believe he uses these devices so widely across his writings because he is able to create a whole new dimension within his writing. Although it does really add into the story and can become confusing at times such as in “Taming of the Shrew” where it takes a while until you can fully grasp the concept of what is going on. Shakespeare is a great writer but personally I have no interest in “Taming of the Shrew”.

39. Nikolas says:

For this beening my first encounter with shakespeare I really like his work. He knows how to connect himself and his readers. He puts entering words in his plays. His freases are sometimes funny and sometimes seraious. Like taming of the schrew he probable used false identys so that it would keep the read more interested and so that it could make it more fun to act out. Of all the plays he has written all of them has a female caracter who is always played by a guy and that’s what makes it funny.

40. Hayden says:

I personally thinkt that Shakespear is a pretty decent writer. I also think that he has a good use of vocabulary. Shakespears plays have been around for more than 400 years. They are still popular to this day! Shakespear is a great play writer but he could add some more deatil into his plays. If he had, it would’ve been easier to have read and understood. The play “The Taming of the Shrew,” was a good intoduction to one of his more famous plays. I have seen “Romeo and Juliet” one time and i had no idea what it was about. That’s probably because I was seven. Anyways, “Taming of the Shrew” was a pretty good storyline. I thought what made t knid of fun to read was that it was partially a comedy. I also thought that it was kind of hard to follow. For me, this was a great introduction to the famous Shakespear.
    Shakespears “Taming of the Srew,” was true comedy. I enjoyed how he only used guys to play the parts in his plays. Shakespear included multiple mixed identities in the play. I think that it was most of the ‘comedy” part of the play. For example when Lucentio pretented to be a tutor when Tranio acted as Lucentio. Or when There was the huge confusion in the end about The real and fake Vincentios. “Taming of the Shrew”, was a great play to start out with and it makes me more comfortable about reading his other plays in high school.

• Edward says:

Hayden,
      I agree with you completely I felt way better about Shakespeare after reading this. It wall be more easy in high school to read his plays especially classics like “Romeo and Juliet”

41. Edward says:

I think my first experience with Shakespeare was interesting especially the language from Elizabethan times the fis, sirrahs, and the ays were rampant during the play although I did enjoyed the plot the irony throughout the play. Shakespeare is a literary genius. His pays our still relevant now. Especially when you realize that it’s Almost 411 years old. And this “first” real experience leveled up with that.

42. Rachel says:

My first experience with Shakespeare was in 6th grade when my drama class watched Midsummer Night’s Dream.That was a very confusing movie. Now, kind of like Mr. Stewart, our teacher had to stop the movie every five minutes to explain to us what was going on. Since Shakespeare is more entertaining to read, I like to read it because it amazes me about how much you have to think about what he wrote to fully understand the play. I also think about how his writing is over 400 years old and we still study it today. Shakespeare’s concealed identity made the play more interesting and harder to understand. What I like about Shakespeare’s work is that he thinks outside the box and writes creative and imaginative things that most people wouldn’t normally think of. I think that in “Taming Of the Shrew” Shakespeare’s use of a play within a play was very interesting. It added onto the play by giving you more to think about while you are reading his play.

• Nikol says:

Rachel I see what you mean. Shakespeare is very elaborate even when put into this generations understanding. And it does become very boring when professionals don’t act it out but we do not have professionals. So we did the best we could.

43. Christina says:

After reading “Taming of the Shrew”, I actually enjoyed it. I have read Shakespear’s “A Mid Summer’s Night Dream” in sixth grade and I enjoyed the plot of that play. I loved how his play included forbidden love as a theme. In “Taming…” I quite enjoyed how this play was a comedy, but did have it’s strong, heartfelt moments, such as Kathrina’s speech at the end. I enjoyed this play because I felt it had some truth behind it. It sounded like a true story. This play is about 400 years old, but I believe that it was able to stand up to the test of time because Shakespears’ plays sounded so true. Shakespear wrote classics, and the messages are true to this day. His plays are relatable through generation to generation. Whether the message was forbidden love, or romance, or anything you can still relate to it today.
    I believe that the use of disguises in Shakespear’s plays was completely necessary. It added a little something extra to his plays. It added comedy, like when Sly’s wife was played by a man. But it also added a sence of deseption to his play, like when one of Bianca’s suitors pretended to be another, to have her fall in love with him. In the reinactments of his plays, even the female rolls would acasionally be played by men. To me, disguises brought something fun to the play, and it makes me enjoy his plays that much more.

44. Isaiah says:

I read and finished the Shakespeareian play ,”The Taming of The Shrew”. This play showed me how life was and how women were treated. Back then they spoke words completely different than today. Back then the word he would be thouy. Although more importantly back then the woman was treated kind of like a dog. Women were made to do as the man said and not even sigh. Shakespeare to me was a charming,poetic,and educational man. The reason I say educational is because his plays have a message. In this one the message was that women should respect their husbands more. Thete was also a message in “Romio and Juliet”. The message to me is that people do crazy thing in the name of love. Shakespeare was a great writer and his play were so controversial that they live on today. As I said Shakespeare was great, but he would seem a bit sexist by today’s standereds.

45. Isaiah says:

This is for question two. In ,”The Taming of The Shrew”, Shakespeare uses secret identities. One reason I think he does this is because he wants to rise the tension between character and audience. The more tension you have is the more relationship you have to the viewer. If you have a lazy man telling his wife to hurry up with dinner, some women will relate with that. Another reason for this is probably so the character’s secret identity gets to know the other better so the real character can make their move. There may also be other reasons, but those reasons are Shakespeare’s, not mine. So that’s my reasoning, what’s your’s?

46. Percy says:

Shakespeare is a very unique writer. We just read “Taming of the Shrew”. Since I have never read Shakespeare before, I had some trouble understanding what he was talking about during some of this play. I think it was very well written, and the plot was very unique and interesting. I think that we still read Shakespeare’s creations today, because he has such good ideas and strong language and was just a very powerful writer.
    In the play, “Taming of the Shrew”, people were pretending to be other people and using concealed identities. This added a lot of spice to his work, and made the plot seem much more intriguing. It also added humor to this particular story.

47. Brandon says:

The first Shakespeare play that I read was in eighth grade. The play was “The Taming of the Shrew” So the one that we are doing right now is my first. I think Shakespeare was one of the best play writers in the whole world. He was so ahead of his time in most of his plays. I’m pretty sure that people based movies off of his plays. He was so brilliant of thinking of doing a play within a play. I bet that is how the writer of “Inception” came up with the idea of a dream within a dream. It is just so shocking in how he came up with those fabulous four hundred years ago. In “The Taming of the Shrew” he uses his characters with smart wit and quick answers with every question that is thrown at him. I’m sure that his plots are mostly based on trickery and comedy. People liked his plays so much they kept them around for so long then they made them into even movies with the same plots but different titles.
    I think Shakespeare’s making of false identities to the characters in the play added most of its comedy. This also added some suspense to the play. It added suspense because you want to know if the real father of Lucentio will find the fake one. Suspense and comedy can keep the reader “On their toes” while reading the play. I think Shakespeare chose this idea because people loved the idea of fake identities and their hidden mysteries.

48. Daniel says:

In the 7th grade, I had my first taste of Shakespeare. The current 8th graders, and the the creative arts dept. built a show of ‘A Midsummer’s Night Dream’. When I saw it, I thought, “ugh, this is really bad.” Now, after reading taming of the shrew, I think that Shakespeare was a much better playwriter than was my first impression. His written styles, as we talked about in class the other day, were Comedic plays, such as this, and tragic and historic plays. I think that the storyline has stayed relevant for so many years because it has so many applications to modern day life. I’m not saying that he wrote The Taming Of the Shrew so that it could be used over 400 years later, but I think that people could use it in the future, much like he did then, when writing the play.

Skakespeares rampant use of the concealed identity element added on to the play. My opinion of this was because there was already many things inside the play that made it funny, and adding one more, an idea of Stealth, and Deception, would make it even better. I think that Shakespeare used this element because he was a creative writer, and one of the more famous ones, in the time period, and he wanted to do something that was not as big as other ideas. At the time, these ideas were sort of in the dark alley, regarded as ‘scary’ and ‘evil’. He wanted to make them better, and bring them to life, by showing them as funny traits, as well as using other elemnts, like a beatiful girl girl, to apply it to everyday life.

49. Tanner says:

This is my second time reading Shakespeare. The first shakespeare I read was “A Midsuammer’s Night Dream”. That play was definitely a lot better than this one. Shakespeare made this way too confusing with all the fake characters and people taking each others’ identities. I felt like I was reading Shakespeare’s version of “Inception”. I was very confused throughout the play and shakespeare didn’t explain everything out as well as in” Midsummer’s Night Dream”. This was definitely not Shakespeare’s best in my eyes.
    Shakespeare’s idea of concealed identity was very confusing to me. It wasn’t explained very clearly and it took me a while to get caught up in what was going on. I thought it made things worst because instead of reading a play, I was constantly having to pay very close attention and stressing what was going on. Usually plays are meant to just read at ease, not to pay close attention to every word that is said. I just hope that I don’t have to read any more Shakespeare plays like this anymore.

50. Bret says:

This is not my first time reading shakespear, but it is my second. The first time i did not like it very much, but i think that reading it in class made it that much better. Shakespear’s plays were written so old that i think that a lot of kids just don’t like it because it’s old and they want something new. That is honestly how I am too. When Shakespear wrote of all the fake identitys i was lost, but i think he did it so he could mak the plays more interesting and really get people thinking!

51. Nikol says:

The first time i had a taste of Shakespeare’s writing is when I was around eight years old. At first I could not understand and I thought he sucked but later on I grew up mentally I started to understand and welcome him into my english. He had a fresh mind and it was sharp and ready to make the audience laugh, think, and entertain in every other possible way. That is why I think he has been around for so long. He was and is a writer like no other. People can try to imitate his writing but he was so unique that no one can.

He also uses psychological ways of writing. In “Taming of the Shrew” he use false identities. It adds a funny touch and a dramatic one, too. And he does not just throw it in there but uses it artfully. Lucentio and Tranio and good examples of holding the false identities. Pretending to be someone else just to get a girl, and that makes the play entertaining to watch.