Mr. Stewart

Personal Experience Shaping Beliefs

One of the main themes of Nightis Elie Wiesel’s crisis of faith. Experiences he had changed his world-view and his beliefs. On page 49, Weisel states his reluctance to pray to God by saying:

Why, but why should I bless Him? In every fiber I rebelled. Because He had had thousands of children burned in His pits? Because he kept six crematories working night and day, on Sundays and feast days? Because in His great might he created Auschwitz, Birkenau, Buna, and so many factories of death? How could I say to Him: “Blessed art Thou, Eternal, Master of the Universe, Who chose us from among the races to be tortured day and night, to see our fathers, our mothers, our brothers, end in the crematory? Praised be Thy Holy Name, Thou who hast chosen us to be butchered on Thine Altar?”

Certain moments in our lives cause us to change our minds or develop strong opinions about a subject. For example, you never were a supporter of our war efforts until a family member was deployed to Afghanistan.

Your job is to describe something you have experienced which has caused you to change or strengthen your opinions about a subject. This doesn’t have to be super personal, but should be detailed. At the end, dedicate a paragraph to your connection to the novel’s theme.

Post once and reply once by May 6th.

129 Responses to “Personal Experience Shaping Beliefs”

1. Dominic says:

A funny sort of story happened to me at the mall. I was chilling out with my kimono dressed friend and we went to Sbarro for some Italian pizza. As we walked up to a lady that worked there, the first thing she said was, “What’d you want”. That’s right, not, “Hi, welcome to Sbarro, may I take your order?” The rude woman even said it with a tone as if she knew me. So then I said, “Umm, I’ll take a piece of cheese pizza please.” She then said “Is that all?” I said, “Yeah.” She then gave me my piece of cheese pizza, and I gave her my six dollars, and I sat down to enjoy this piece pizza, but she forgot to put it in the oven. I said, ”Ma’am? You forget to warm up my pizza.” She said,” Do you have to complain about everything?!”
    I don’t remember me complaining once. So I just left without get my money back. Why bother with a pizza drama queen? So now, every time I go to the Chapel Hills Mall, I don’t go anywhere near the Sbarro. But I still eat at the ones with different locations.

Woah, im the first comment!

• Patrick says:

well Dominic, I totally agree with you. If Someone does not warm up a piece of pizza after you paid for it, then doesn’t even give you your money back or simply take the piece of pizza and warm it up, I would also not go to that place ever again. I think it’s kind of stupid that she forgot to warm it up anyway. I mean I personally would not even let someone have a job if they forgot to warm up a piece of pizza.

• Ashley says:

Dominic,
      The lady at the resturant doesn’t seem very pleasant. I don’t blame you for not going back there again. If people are going to be that rude to a customer than they shouldn’t go back. Great post and details!

• Tyler says:

Next time you go to the mall, look for that employe and start complaining. When shes had enough say, remember me.

• Brice says:

ya Dominic I love sbarro. I never have been treated rudely there, but I hate when i go to a restaurant and i have bad service. when i go somewhere and get bad service i usually complain and or never eat there again.

• Mark says:

I think its hilarious when people who work at restuarants get angry because their impatiant or just full of bologna.

• Brandon says:

I really hate how people show up to work and wont show a smile at all. If they want to work at a pizza place they should at least come with a good attitude at talk like someone willing to know who you are. So i can totally see why you never go near that pizza place Dominic.

• Madison says:

Dominic when I read this, I burst out laughing! The way you described her was so descriptive! If she had an attitude with me, I wouldn’t have been so kind! Very nicely done!

• Sierra says:

I agree with you. When you go to a place and the employees are rude to you, you never want to go back to that place.

• Shazad says:

Dominic i hate that when people just being a drama queen about stuff, i just wish workers leave stuff at home and bring work to work.

• Zachary says:

I totally agree with you because service is always a pain, as well getting a rude waiter that has not took the time to cook my pizza. This is person will not have their job for long.

• Daniel says:

Dominic, I agree with you. Also, I have been to that Sbarro, and I think that I had the same person! She was really mean, and was terrible at her job. she even burned my friends piece of pizza. Bad service like that can really make a good day not so good.

2. Mr. Stewart says:

My understanding of true poverty changed after I spent a couple of weeks on the Central American island nation of Trinidad. Growing up, my family did not have a lot of money, but we always had enough to get by and we never went hungry. During those ten days I spent on the island, I saw families live in conditions I could never have imagined.

Most notably, I will remember walking by a clapboard and sheet metal shack with a piece of cardboard laid out across the front entry way to serve as a door. There were two young children around three to five years old, and I locked eyes with them for the briefest moment. Behind them I could see other children of various ages. These children had hardly anything; they were living in a shack; their door was a piece of cardboard. I asked the man leading us what he knew of this family and he said that their mother was a prostitute and that is how she paid to feed her children.

Never again would I complain about my own sense of “poverty.” Even at our worst, my parents didn’t have to resort to those ends to put food on the table. This served as a shift in my thinking about poverty around the globe and gave me a stern reminder of the good things we have in America. Ever since that moment, my beliefs about world poverty have become something of a passion. I understand that the majority of the world lives on less than two dollars a day. Compare that to the federal minimum wage in America which is $7.25 an hour. Even our citizens working eight hour days for the lowest pay earn 25 times as much as the majority of people on earth.

I know that if I hadn’t taken that walk and made eye contact with those children, my perspective about poverty would not be as personal and passionate. I am grateful for that experience. By contrast, Elie Wiesel’s experience shifted his belief in his God. He questioned what sort of a God would allow such suffering and allow him to see what he saw. his experience led to a crisis of faith. My experience had quite the opposite effect, in that I had a larger sense of gratitude for all that I had.

3. Patrick says:

At first, well I thought the war was as easy as shooting the enemy and it’s over, until the day I was at my church. A soldier came to speak and shared his story and what he experienced. He said one of his closest friends died in his hands after being shot three times. He showed a picture of him that someone took at the time. Blood dripping from his face. After seeing that picture It changed my whole perspective of the war. It told me that war is more than just shooting the enemy then it;s over. It also is sacrificing things, and serving your country. dedicating your life for the United States of America. I can not see how he was able to function after that incident.

4. Paige says:

My passion for snakes has changed from loving them to being terribly afraid of them and not wanting to have to deal with them at all. As a young child I had this strange obsession with snakes. Growing up in the dessert it was easy to find them and watch them for hours eating a rat or taking a nap in the toasty sun on a beautiful summer day in New Mexico. Till the day of doom! A close friend of mine and I decided to go out and search for some snakes out by this park across the street from my house. It took about five minutes to get to the park. It was a nice toasty day where snakes would lay out in the sun and warm out. My friend and I had finally found a Gardner snake laying out. We played with it and stared at for awhile. Brooklyn went to reach out for a stick to do something and BAM right there and then something bit her. She pushed herself backwards and yelled bloody murder. I had never seen so much blood in my life. It was every where. I took her by the arms and dragged her as her arm just bled and she was screaming and crying telling me to not give up and get help. Right there I was watching my friend die right before my eyes… My closest friend, a blood sister was just dieing and I had no idea what to do. I was so close but so far away from my home the place she needed to be at to get better to become strong again. The blood just came out a lot more as if a little lake was turning into a larger lake streaming down in an ocean. I yelled for my parents who was sitting on the front porch. They ran towards us and she was rushed to the hospital. That day I almost had seen my friends life just slip away right before my eyes all because of a snake bite. All in all my friend is very well okay now and is stronger than ever.

• Sophie says:

Paige, this was a terrifying post! I cannot imagine that scene, watching my friend die. I too had a obsession with snakes/reptiles when I was younger. I still like them, but reading this post makes me rethink things. Good job!

• Valerie says:

Paige, I can’t imigine having to see your friend go through something like that! You reacted so well to this catastrophe. It is amazing how something that was supposed to be fun can change your perspective forever.

• Seth says:

Paige, that is a terrifying experirence!

• Paige says:

Thanks guys! Indeed it was so frightening to even BELIEVE that such a creature would do so much harm to someone ever!

• Christina says:

Paige,
        I can Not believe how terrified you must have been. I have always hated snakes ever since I was little, and even reading this story gives me the chills. I’m sorry that happened to your best friend, but I’m glad she is better now.

• Nicole says:

Paige, that would be very terrifying. I would hate to have watched that happen to someone i hold close to my heart. I am thrilled that she is ok and that did not stop her from being who she is.

• Sierra says:

Paige, I love snakes, but if I ever see something like this it would make not want to deal with them either. It’s so sad that you almost list your friend. I would be so sad if I lost my closest friend.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Great post, Paige. Well written and good word choice

5. Valerie says:

My perspective on poverty changed after my missions trip to New Mexico this spring break. We were working on an Navajo Alamo Indian reservation. When we first heard that our living conditions were not going to be as good as they were here we though mabye not as much furniture and a few cracks in the walls. Once we got to the reservation, that all changed. The houses were in terriable conditions, the roofs sagged, there were giant cracks in the walls and there was a “dump” right outside of many of the houses where everyone dumped all of their garbage. This changed my perspective on poverty in the United States immensly. Most of the time we think that people in the United States can be homeless but not in poverty. These people were living in one room houses and sometimes they were about the size of a hotel room. The woman’s house we used to go to the bathroom was four rooms. The kitchen, a “master bedroom” and another “bedroom” (she used curtians to make “walls”), and a bathroom. When I used to think of poverty, I thought of people in places like Africa who don’t have the resources to make a house that is suitable for living in, but now I see that poverty is in our own backyards with homeless people and people who just need help getting the resources that would help them make a safer house for them and their families.

• Paige says:

Valerie,
      I have been to one of these reservations in New Mexico myself and it is quite tragic! I remember a young Navajo girl at the age of about nine or ten telling me how she is so thankful for all the wonderful things she had in her little town and how no one or nothing can ever make her feel differently about that place. It was a very sad event especially since she knew it wasn’t normal for other families to be living in that state.

6. Seth says:

It was a Thursday after school my sister had just gotten done wit soccer practice and we went to McDonalds to get our dinner for the night and the screwed up our order! We ordered what we wanted and pulled forward to the food window. When we got home the did’nt get anything right! We got four salads, a milkshake, a parfait, a apple pie! That was last time we went to that McDonalds as a family. Elie Weiesl has to have a different oppinoin on his faith in god when a miracle does not come whne those prisoners were bieng hung.

• Austin says:

I hate it when that happens! I experienced the exact same at Panera Bread. You got your favorite soup, bread, and sandwich. You get everything to-go and open it up at home and NOTHING you want is there! It drives me nuts when people make mistakes, especially with food! The worst possible outcome that could happen is your Chipotle burrito being destroyed with the wrong ingredients. Right in front of your own eyes! When it comes to food, it is essential you have everything just right. What would you do without your favorite meal?

• Kelly says:

I’m sorry Seth. Don’t you just hate it when restaurants get orders mixed up! I know I do. This one time I went to Subway and there was only one lady working there. What she would do was that she would make every ones sandwiches, put them in the bags and just guess on whose sandwich was whose! I never got the right sandwich…

• Bret says:

That does suck seth. Now everytime taht we go out tpo fast food we always check our food first. i liked the connection you made with the book though, you made a connection with something (no offense) something so insignificaiant with something so significiant!

• Hayden says:

Seth I agree with your post. I can not stand it when that happens. If it does, my dad will go inside the McDonalds and demand our original order for free. I think it is kind of funny.

7. Ashley says:

When I was around the age of seven to eight years old, my younger brother Geoffrey, who was around age of five, and the rest of my family would go up to Denver nearly every other weekend. We did this mainly for family bonding and a chance to get out of the house. We would take long drives through Denver looking for new places to eat, just to spice things up a bit. We came across a resturant called ” Casa Bonita” meaning “Beautiful House”, in english. The family and I decided to check it out. Inside the decor was beyond words. They had things from people jumping from a water fall wall, to a man in a gorilla suit. And that’s where our story begins.
    My family and I were enjoying our Mexican food, and such when a lady with lights all over her comes over to our table for entertainment. Laughs and smiles were exchanged and everything was fine at that point with all of the family members. Until, the gorilla came to laugh along too. He jumped around as apes do, and brought smiles to everyone, well except Geoffrey. My brother screamed louder than any other boy I knew, and demanded we leave. He was causing such a problem that we had to go. My Mom was outraged by how the monkey scaring my brother and demanded our money back. That is the last time we ever saw “Casa Bonita”.

• Sam says:

I have been to “Casa Bonita”! It was last year after one of my soccer games in Denver (which of course I won), the atomosphere there was absolutely magical. Their food was tremendous. Oh yeah Ashley? How is this life changing? Is it because that was the only mexican restaurant you have ever liked and now you never get to go there again?

• Chloe says:

I agree i went there for a 5th grade feild trip and the monkey jumped out and my bestfriend started crying i was maybe one of the worst/scariest feild trips ever

• Brynn says:

I would have to agree with Sam. This really isn’t a “life changing experience”. There is many other places you could go to eat Mexican food. Ive also been there and found the food amazing, But still how did this change your opinion of something? If it did change your opinion of something please elaborate.

8. William says:

When I was watching the music video “Prayer of the refugee” by rise against. I saw how people live in the horrible conditions after a natural disaster. Then if you watch closer to the edge by thirty seconds to mars. The video will put you in a good mood. This is like the time my little brother so sad but then my mom said he would get a soda if he stopped moaning and he did. This shows how annoying mood swings can be.

9. Austin says:

I was nine years old, the happiest child I could be. I lived in Salem, Oregon my whole life, thinking I would stay there for as long as I lived. I loved it there; I had the perfect friends, family, and school. In April, 2006, my father and mother gathered the family at the table for what I thought was just another good-old family discussion. At first, I had absolutely no idea what we were talking about. Parents are pretty challenging to talk to when you’re nine years old, using big vocabulary, thinking I knew what they were speaking of. So, finally when they finished, they broke out their five year old language, “We move away from Oregon soon,” my father said. “Where?” I replied. “To Colorado” he said. About two seconds later, all I could do was cry. Which was exceptional because everyone at the table was too. I thought of the life I had built, the friends I would be leaving, would all turn to dust within 3 months. Why? Why must I leave where I am happy? Did God want me to be depressed and challenged? (Which, I found out later, He did.) I always believed that God was not a God of bad things, but of good things. So why was He turning on me now, making things difficult when they were perfect? I assumed He hated me from now on. “Who cares? I don’t need God. I’ll somehow find a much better way to live.” I thought. This soon led to self-destruction as I approached my teenage years. As soon as I started these sins, I never left them. My life was full of darkness and pain, and I didn’t even realize it. It took me THREE years to come back to the one I once loved and believed in. Three long years.
    In June 2010, I had just ended seventh grade. Summer once again sprung from the skies in a glorious day, and struck my heart with a shining star into the dark. It was June twenty second to be precise, I was to attend a youth conference known as “Desperation” at New Life Church with some of my fellow friends. I wasn’t all too “pumped” about it in the beginning when I first heard the name of “God” in the event. I began to sigh. We had arrived in a church filled with about two thousand people from around the United States. I have to admit, it was really neat to see all these people coming out to Colorado for a conference three days in length. When the first service had started, everyone was on their feet jumping because of their pure excitement. I had begun to laugh at them thinking they were embarrassing themselves. But by the time the conference would have finished, I would be restored as a new being. I left that church never wanting to leave. I determined to never go back to the world of darkness where I was just rescued from. I had been set free – free from pain, darkness, and slavery of sin in my life. With God’s help, I could conquer all that had destroyed me. I could endlessly burst out in tears of joy for my Father. I could do all things without shame. I finally had won.
    There is no worse experience than being angry with God or any other master you serve. We always ask why things must happen the way they happened, or why we need faith in our beliefs. Just like what Wiesel went through and what everybody goes through. It’s not easy. Wiesel witnesses death and torture every day of the Jews, even on himself. It is all too easy to question our beliefs when we witness something heartbreaking right before our eyes. This is especially true in the case of Wiesel. But all who experience this pain will soon find it was all part of God’s gracious plan to be more than a conqueror.

10. Kelly says:

Come autumn, I thought that one of my friends and I could go to a cute sounding restaurant and get a small snack that complemented the foggy weather that had occurred earlier that day. This place was called “Holey Crepe!”. The first and only time that I have ever been there they were ever so rude and very disrespectful to me. When I approached the lady who was working at the front to place my order, I asked her if I could have a plain crepe. Nothing on it. She rolled her eyes at me and made such a big deal out of it. She gave me a strange look. As if that was so odd. She said, “Really? Nothing on it? No strawberries or nothing? That’s sounds gross.” I responded, “Um, ya… just an ordinary crepe.” She replied, “I don’t think that’s possible. We pre-make our crepes.” After about two to three minutes of talking about how gross all the employees thought my order was, I just said, “What! Are you guys serious? I’ll just go to my house and make crepes if you’re going to be this rude to me!” The lady at the front than responded, “No. it’s okay. We’ll make you your plain crepe… Hey! One plain crepe. Nothing on it! Just, plain!” One of the guys from the back who cooks even came out to try and convince me to try and get something on my crepe. I was trying not to laugh because of how ridiculous all of this was. In the end they were “okay” with making me my plain crepe. It didn’t taste very good. It was the worst crepe I have ever tasted… That night, I went onto Google and looked up a crepe recipe. I had a nice big stack of crepes that night for a snack. A week later, I went back to the mall, and as I walked by where they used to be located they were closed down. I have made all of my crepes at home ever since.

• Paige says:

Wow! I almost went to that little place before too! Thank goodness I didn’t! I’m glad it closed down shortly then! Good post!

• Rachel says:

I don’t get how people like that aren’t fired or yelled at or something. That’s so stupid how people treat you disrespectfully just because you want something your way instead of theirs. Now I have to say that if I was you Kelly, I would be so happy that the crepe store got closed down. Otherwise, homemade crepes are way better anyway!

• Cassandra says:

Whoa that is rude I mean seriously you were just asking for a plain crepe. As rachel said they should listen to your order and not complain. Oh and this is a great post by the way!

• Sophie says:

Kelly I am sorry that happened to you. Workers should not be so controlling, all they need to do is take the order and make it. They obviously have no life if its such a big thing that you want an ordinary crepe. Its no surprise that they closed down, probably because of that horrible service.

• Percy says:

Oh my goodness Kelly, that is funny. I hate rude people. I’m glad the place closed down! Congratulations on making better crepes than them!

11. Sam says:

I remember when i was in second grade at my old school, TCA. I was at that school until seventh grade. I had made so many friends and had a ton of experiences that I will never forget. But then the year after seventh grade I found out my bus route was getting canceled do to the lack of people that were going to ride the bus. So I started talking to my friends that go to Eagleview because that is the closest school to my house (I live right across the street). I knew that I would be leaving the school I had been at for five years but I had no other choice as my parents had jobs and didn’t have time to take me all the way to TCA. At first I was excited to see my friends at Eagleview, but then I saw the kids I didn’t know. I was so intimidated by all the people I didn’t know. As the year continued I made more and more friends, heck, im still making friends now!
    What im trying to say is that this entire story changed my life. This has strengthened my belief that no matter what life changing event happens, theres always a good part.

• Sophie says:

Sam, I used to go to TCA too! In second and third grade I went there, and it was the only real school I stayed at for more than a year. I understand how hard it is to change schools. Good post!

• Paul says:

This is so true because I had to do this at the beginning of seventh grade and I came from a school with twenty kids in my whole grade so I get this completley.

• Tanner says:

I totally understand you Sam. When I flew over 7,000 miles from my old school Colegio International Nido De Aguilas to here, I was terrified. I was so used to Chilean cultures and the American culture is so different, the four years I spent down there changed me. I was so nervous looking around Eagleview. The entire middle school at Nido was roughly 250 students, that’s less than the entire eighth grade alone! No doubt I was nervous, I didn’t have the luxury of being near the school so you could talk to other students. Like you, I make new friends every other day, I highly doubt I’ve meet all 300 or whatever number of students here.

• Nikol says:

Sam the idea of moving and the actual ordeal of moving is a life changing thing. You are sailing onto uncharted territories and there is nothing you can do but keep an open mind and stay cool.

12. Bret says:

When i lived in Illinois i knew of one kind of attitude. In Illinois people were polite, but when i moved here to Colorado I was introduced intoa whole new type of attitude. Here everybody says their please and thank yous more than enough and they sound very polite and “perfect”. I have found though that people here really are not as polite as they come on the attitude here is more ‘Im better than you”. Im not trying to offend anybody who has lived here his/her whole life because a vast majority of people who live her are like that, but other people are not. I learned here that yes, please and thank yous are inportant, but don’t judge a book by it’s cover because when you get to know some people they are not at all like they come on.

• Jonas says:

This is great because as another person from Illinois, people are easy to sort out because there is no flipside to peoples attitude. Here people can seem nice but as you start to know them better, i believe that they can be totally different. Because in Illinois people are either people with manners or jerks and they stay like that throughout your entire relationship with that person.

• William says:

Sometimes a first impression is all wrong. That is what it felt like when I first moved here too. Some people just don’t know when they need to grow up. This made Atlanta, Georgia seem the most optimistic place in the world to me. When walk into school on an average day now there is no one insulting me really either that or I have been able to block it out and people aren’t as rude.

• Christina says:

Bret, I’m glad you finally realize that first impressions are Not always correct. I remember back in 7th grade when you and I first met in Ms. Paris’ class. You thought I was emo and I thought you were annoying, but I’m glad we got passed that and are friends now. Also, I agree with you about the whole “Colorado attitude”. A lot of people here can be cocky sometimes.

13. Nikolas says:

When my opinion about war changed during my dad’s first and second term in Iraq. During the first term he would be ambushed every day by who knows what. During the second term he was in a hotel were his platoon were stationed at and a RPG missle hit the room next to his and all of the soliders had to leave the hotel. Now he was stationed in Afghanistan and he is helping train the Afghan army. He also received a bronze star during his first term of Iraqi. Now he automatically earns one. Now I know what war is and now I’m not afraid of what happens to my dad because I know that he has soldiers to protect him.

14. Paul says:

My life changed the most when I got my dog. I was nine years old when I got my dog. I did not know taking care of you and another living, breathing thing. It changes my life because I had to raise the dog with some help but I had to clean up everything he did. I had to remember to feed him and play with him. The reason this changed my life is because I had to learn responsibility. A simple house pet that changed my life so much in a big way.

• Luke says:

Paul-
      I had the same thing happen to me when I was nine. since I was the youngest in the house they made me do everything and now I feel that I can have a lot more responsibility than my older sister. It made me feel like more of an adult and I also got paid for it to. Anyways it was a good blog but you should work on keeping it longer with some more information.

• Hailey says:

Paul,
      The same thing happened to me when I got my dog, my post is even about my dog. It definitely does change your life and it does give you responsibility. Even though it’s really hard, it brings you lots of joy and happiness.

15. Rachel says:

Something that changed my life was going to Youth Quest this year. It’s usually very fun there but this year was the best of them all. One, is that they have this ride called ” The Screamer” and they moved it and now it just looks like a giant swing. Then they usually have this band there that is pretty good but not the best, but not this week. They had a band there that was loving and good-looking and were just plain Awesome! Now, the name of this band is Everfound, it was just amazing to have them there because even though they rock out like crazy, they still make time to love God like everyone else there. Now I didn’t know that a couple Russian brothers could be that life changing, but they were. Mostly because their songs are about real life things that you go through everyday and not about getting down on Friday. This was one of the most life changing weekends of my life.

16. Jonas says:

Finally going off the big jumps at breckenridge. I was allways scared of doing it and I would watch people go off them and I was amazed that they could do it and I fantasized about me doing them sometime. But finally one day I was givin the encouraging words that would change my thoughts on jumps forever. So when I dropped into the takeoff, all I could think about was making it and I did and I was so happy that I could do it.

17. Cassandra says:

So I am about to tell you the life changing experience just as Elizeir did. What I’m about to tell you is not really that great but a BIG change for me. I was in 4th grade in Hawaii, Oahu; it was already half the school year when I heard the news. I had to move, and go to Texas! I was terrified I didn’t want to leave I had to because you see that’s when the time when my dad joined the military. I hated the fact that he joined it, and on top of that I had to move to! It was the last day when I had to go, all my friends and family I’ll miss so much, but all things became well when I went to my new school and made new friends I thought to myself that this isn’t bad then I thought but if I had a choice of going to Disney Land or Hawaii I’ll always take the chance and see how my family is doing . . . ALWAYS!!!!!! Just as Elizeir he had to part with his family that he loved so much so did I. So I know I much it hurts to leave the ones you love and don’t know when you’ll see them again.

18. Tyler says:

My life changed three years ago when my grandfather died. He was my best friend (for the time being). He has a farm in Missouri, which we traveled to every chance we got. Every moring on the farm I’d wake up with him and did what needed to be done that day. Every morning during hay season (summer) I’d go out with him on the tracter, cut the hay, rake it, then bail it for the cows. He would do anything for the people he loved. The whole town knew him as a friendly farmer. He didn’t leave behind a structure but a legacy to us. One day we’ll meet again.

• Luke says:

Tyler-
      I liked your blog but it was very sad. I am sorry that your best friend died but yes you will meet again. He seems like a great man to be with and a fun one at that. I can relate to that because my grandpa was to. when i was young i would hangout with him three or four times a week and we would have the best times together. but as time moved on we pushed and pushed away especially when we moved it brought it down a lot because we had no more relationships with him. But he moved out here and we are starting it again. Nice blog by the way keep it up.

• Austin says:

My opinion changed happened when i was done practicing with tennis after school. I was being picked up by my mother and she was freaking out because she lost all her vision on the left eye and she didn’t know what to do. My sister was need to be picked up and we need to go to the infirmary so i called my dad and left. At then I realized that i need to enjoy my life for every moment im with my family.

• Rex says:

I love my grandparents too and my Grandma died when I was in sixth grade. Unfortunately, she died on Friday the thirteenth, a week before my birthday.

19. Luke says:

Being a fourteen year boy, living in Colorado Springs, I would never think that I would appreciate the little things in life such as food on the table every night, a education, and a roof over my head. Do you appreciate all of the little things that you have? Elizabeth N. Lalika, is a third grader in Tanzania. She lives to appreciate the little things. she is one of the lucky ones that live in a care point. I have been sponsoring her for almost four years and it shows me that I have to be stepping up my work, doing my best and not just take little things for granite. It is very hard for me to even look on how much my friends spend on candy, soda, and other stuff the is useless in there life’s but when I give my child thirty five dollars a month that is just what my friends spend on stuff that they don’t need. I included. Next, she makes the best of what she has; like her education, all her grades are pretty bad but when I look at how much she has grown in a semester it is forty four points on doing better in her classes. She tries so hard and yet we slack off so much. Some people don’t even care about their grades but yet a sponsor child does even though she is living for nothing. It just changes my mind on how we need to be doing better and preserving day after day and not take anything for granite no matter what.

• Hailey says:

Luke,
      I think that it is rally great that you have been sponsoring a girl from Tanzania. Yes, I agree with you, people do spend money on useless things, and don’t appreciate all of the good things they have in their lives.

20. Sophie says:

I had a fluffy white Samoyed dog when I was eleven. She was beautiful and she meant a lot to me. My dad drove me six hours to get her, and I promised myself I would never give her up or lose her, like my mom did with her dog when she was a little girl. I took really good care of her, because after years of asking my parents if I could have a dog, they finally gave in. Her name was Princess, our other dog was Prince. Princess was very high maintenance, and it was extremely hard to take care of her, especially when my parents got divorced. I stayed with my mom on the weekdays and Princess stayed with my dad since he had a house and I lived in an apartment with my mom. It came to the point where I didn’t want to live with my dad anymore on weekends or ever-due to personal reasons- and Princess couldn’t go to my mom’s since our apartment had no backyard, of course. I barely saw my dog anymore, and I didn’t want to admit what had to happen, it was too painful. After weeks, I realized how unhappy my dog would be without me or anyone to take her on walks anymore. I faced reality, and called my dad to tell him to take our dogs to the humane society. My brother, who owned Prince our other dog, agreed and told my dad the same thing: take them to the humane society and put them up for adoption. We figured they would be in a new and better home, where their owners would actually come home to them. It was extremely hard for me, I never had a chance to say goodbye. It would have been way too painful, and I was a coward for not doing it. I regret that decision, for not saying goodbye, but not for giving them up. I knew it was for the best, but it always haunts me to the day where I promised my puppy that I wouldn’t give her up, which I did in the end. I was tortured for months after that, crying and hating myself and God. I wondered why He, the one that is all about love, could let something I loved so much slip away from me. It seemed like my hate would never cease, until something incredible happened. It was summer, and my brother had just hung out with his friends at the park. He came home, and he said that he saw a woman who was walking her dog, which turned out to be Prince. He ran over and talked to the woman for awhile, he got her number and she told him she lived right by the park which is right next to our house. She said we could come visit Prince anytime. My brother asked about what happened to Princess, and she said that her best friend had adopted her. When I heard this I was overcome with joy. I was so happy that they had been given good homes, it was so amazing too that they lived so close! I realized that sometimes the most painful choices come out for the better. I know I shouldn’t have doubted God, which was my biggest mistake. This experience changed my opinion on things; it dragged me out of my sadness and gave me hope. Maybe everything does happen for a reason.

• Christina says:

Ohh Sophie, I’m so sorry.
      That is such a sad story. I don’t think I could ever put my dog up for adoption. Though, I’m impressed. That must have been the hardest decision in the world for you to make, but knowing that you cared for princess so much, that you where willing to give her up to let her have a better life, is really brave and courageous. Good for you Sophie.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Wow. Poweful stuff. It is always frustrating to know that so much is out of your control.

21. Brice says:

I Had a cat named tenuki for eighteen and a half years. My mom had her since 1991. she was a very good cat who never went outside or tried to attack you. About half way through 2008 She began to get sick. At this time we had no idea she was sick, because she was just peeing on the carpet. After a while she wasn’t eating as much as she normally did, but we didn’t suspect anything because of her old age. I was always playing with her but she got less playful every week. In January of 2009 she began to get very ill. She was bleeding out of her mouth without control. At the beginning it looked as if she had cut her mouth or ripped out a tooth. we soon decided to make a vet appointment after a week of bleeding. She had a stomach infection that was untreatable. They said if we took her in when she started peeing, that they could have caught it, but we didn’t think of it at the time. We had to have her put down. Putting the first and only pet you’ve ever had down wasn’t easy. This experience changed my opinion on alto of things. It definitely changed my opinion on cats and cat health.

22. Hayden says:

I had a life changing experience when it was during spring break during sixth grade. It was in the middle of the break and it had snowed a lot. My friends and I decided to go sledding on a huge hill by my house. We went sledding for a couple of hours and then went over to McDonalds to get some lunch. We decided to prank call some random numbers to get some laughs. It was my turn and I called a number *67 so that they could not call back. I called a number and a women answered and i did the fridgerator running joke. The women got really mad and kind of scared and freaked out. So I hung up after laughing too much. Later that night, at my house, I was just chilling watching T.V. and the same number called me back. I didn’t answer the first time but they called again so I answered. The womens son was a cop. He had called me and the women wanted to talk to my parents and I said that they were not there. But she insisted so I gave in and gave my phone to my dad. He talked to the women and she told him everything. When my dad got off the phone, it became world war three in my house. I got grounded for three weeks and since then, I have never prank called anyone again and I never will.

• Paige says:

When I first read this, I couldn’t help but to laugh at the fact that you would mess with an old woman over a prank call. Also, the fact that you had gotten in trouble is also funny. Tsk tsk on you for prank calling in the first place though.

23. Mark says:

I use to be fascinated with birds until a couple years ago. I was riding my bike down a trail near Rockrimmon with my friend Jimmy.
    I was riding down the trail minding my own buisness until I spotted a crow. I was starring at it thinking it was the ugliest bird I have ever seen. A couple seconds after that the crow flew at me and attacked me. I fell of my bike with the bird still pecking me. I was on the ground the bird was attacking and I thought I was helpless until Jimmy threw a rock at the crow which made it fly away. I was thankful for my friend helping me get the bird away from me. My mom still does not believe the story but it is a absolutely true. From that they on I have been terrified of birds even the tammed ones in cages.
    I will never stair down a bird again.

24. Rudolph says:

25. Rudolph says:

A long time ago, when I was about four, I had never even known about what “evil” was. Of course I was just four and still, very much, growing up. I was a happy child, till I started having horrible nightmares. I would have nightmares of, men with black eyes, throwing stuff at me, and they would do a lot of worse things to me, like they were torturing me. I would awake from these nightmares sweating, and panting, running to my parents room crying and screaming. Maybe a couple of weeks after those nightmares, my parents filed for a divorce. I didn’t know what was happening till I got in the car with my mom and we drove far away. My life had changed after that. I had never had any nightmares since then. A few years later, I had a couple more nightmares. Except these nightmares were worse in a way. They weren’t trying to physically hurt me. I remember one of the nightmares where I got out of bed, (I didn’t know this was a dream when this was happening) and I started to randomly walk towards my parents bedroom. What I saw next, I wont say, but it was very disturbing. I wasn’t so sure what that dream was trying to tell me but it made me look at people differently. My nightmares or symbolic I believe. Its like they are trying to teach me something or warn me about something that will happen.
    I saw a resemblance to the nightmare that led to the divorce, from where Madame Schachter saw flames that led to a giant burning furnace. When I read that part in the book, I thought that was crazy because I all most had the same experience.

26. Carmine says:

A life changing experience was when I started to play sports. Before I started playing sports I just stayed home and played video games. I didn’t go outside that much, and didn’t play with friends. When my mom mentioned playing sports I just encored her. After she dragged me to go play Football I loved it. I wanted to play it forever. When she mentioned about playing more sports and I said yes. Now I play Baseball and Basketball, and have made most of my friends in the process.

• Steven says:

I make friends all the time when i play sports. I started soccer at five and i have made many friends from different states. I grew up loving soccer all my life
      (I guess its my European blood). In the process of nine years, I have played on about eleven different teams and i still keep in touch with about a fourth of them (good thing that they have Facebook). I am most likely going to play soccer for the rest of my life so i can make new friends every year. You can never have the maximum amount of friends because they’re new ones made every day.

• Matt says:

Sports are really a life changing experience for many people and I would personally encourage others to join a sport if not in one already. It is a great way to make new friends and get out of the house and exercise.

27. Rex says:

When I was younger, I had a strong belief in God and heaven and all of that religious stuff. I know you’re probably thinking that you don’t want to hear about faith in religion any more but just hear me out. I used to have a strong religion, until I was diagnosed with diabetes. Then, of course, I doubted my religion. I thought, “Why would God put me through this?” I was turning into a non-believer. One day, being positive as I usually am, started getting different thoughts. “Maybe God is just testing me? Maybe he just wants to make me smarter?” I can tell you right now that I am not a religious guy but I believe that there is a God up there, somewhere. I believe, God wants me to be a smarter person, and He wants me to succeed in life. If I wasn’t cursed with diabetes, I would not know as much about it. I can look after myself better and I now know that life is great and He wants me to live for a long time, because he knows I can handle it. If God wants me to be on Earth no longer, he will hit me with a truck. Well probably not but you get the idea.

• Jamie says:

Rex,
      Wow! great post! I definitly have to agree with you on that one. There is a god up there in his heaven, but it sounds like you experienced a crisis of faith! Why would He curse a “Positive” guy like you with diabetes? Who knows, but there are some good things about having diabetes too! Well, anyway, good job!

• Mr. Stewart says:

Great post, Rex. I’m sure you have more control over what you eat and how you live than most people your age. That will serve you so well for your whole life!

28. Steven says:

It’s funny how a movie can mess with your mind. It was opening week of my favorite movie ever created, Inception. I was so hyped to see it because i have been waiting for it to come out for quite a while. After the movie, it came to my mind that i can be inside a dream right now. That night I stayed up wondering if i was in another dream world. What can i say though, once you see the movie it keeps you wondering if people can actually perform Inception and change you actions in life. Maybe I’m wrong, but one day i am sure that people can change your minds with technology. People do this today by brainwashing people. Just look into the Jonestown mass suicide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown). Jim Jones changed his people’s mind by saying that they needed to kill themselves because people were on to them. In some sort of way he performed Inception on people by changing their minds. To this date, i have never had a dream that I have remembered since i saw Inception. Who knows, maybe we are all in a dream right now.

29. Edward says:

When I was working at our family dairy queen a customer walked in we had seen him there before but something was different we hadn’t seen him in a while and he seemed like he had shaved cleaned his face and such. After taking his order my mom casually how he’d been he was homeless and we knew. he told us he had gotten a job and been sober and off the streets and as he was telling us this story he mentioned that he originally didn’t need a job because people gave him food to eat money to buy alcohol and he lived in a tent city; and that changed my opinion about homeless people and how they are not as helpless as they seem.

30. Brandon says:

I change one of my thoughts about the phrase, “Don’t Judge a book by its cover.” There was this game where my best friend in Texas and I would ride our bikes guessing what some random persons life is. One time my friend triple dog dared me, which was HUGE when we were kids, to guess then ask that person if they were rich. I said it was stupid and I didn’t do it. My friend disagreed and said he would. That person he went up to looked very poor. Of course he guessed he was poor but when he asked he wasn’t even close to being poor. He said he was close to be hitting two Million Dollars! I was so shocked that I never, “Judge a book by it’s cover”, ever again.

31. Jamie says:

When I went to body worlds I saw all of the generous people who dedicated their bodies to science. Among those, there was a slab of fat from the fattest man on earth (who was 1215 pounds!) His slab of fat was from his stomach down to his thigh. Although this was a gresome sight to see, it changed my beliefs about being fat forever. I used to think that I was always getting fat, and my mom thought she was getting fat (which she’s not!)and now I realize that being fat causes ones body (when sliced open) to have layers of different colors of yellow that make up the inside of your stomach.

• Britta says:

Although that is gruesome, it’s also a little sad. Every female almost worries about the fact that she’s getting fat. When the truth of the matter is their thinner than a bean pole. I find it fascinating that only females worry about being fat men never worry about being fat at all.

32. Britta says:

On May 12, 2006 my whole family went through an event that changed our lives forever. My sixteen-year-old cousin, Ian, died in a fatal car accident. He was driving about a half mile away from his house going to meet some of his friends. There was a drunk driver behind him who rammed into the back of his car. He was wearing his seatbelt but it couldn’t save him. He went through the windshield and his skull was cracked open and part of his brain was showing. He was in the hospital on life support that was keeping him alive. He wasn’t responsive to anything but he was still on the brink of life and death. The next day the doctor came in and said there was a way to help Ian but it was too late. Apparently God thought that there was nothing that the doctors could do to help him, so Ian was gone after the moment the doctor said they could help. For a long time when we went to church I would say to God, “Why did do this?” “We could have saved him!” “Why should I believe in you?” Then my mom explained to me that things happen for a reason and that God has a plan for everyones death in this unforgiving world that we live in. I’m still a little mad at God for what he did but I also know that Ian is in a better place now.

• Isaac says:

That is the kind of drastic life changing moment that might lead you to questioning your beliefs. Something so heartbreaking can do lots of things to a person including questioning ones beliefs.

33. Matt says:

It all began some where around 7th grade were I told everything in school was basically a test to move on to the real world. I soon began to learn most things in I learned in school would have either no purpose in the job I would apply in would not be useful at all or I would forget the material over time. It began to come apparent to me that school served little purpose rather just to give a piece of paper that said you completed school. Then that piece of paper will help you continue on to even more school or a job. Although all of this for what? It had appeared to me life was all one big test and ultimately had no purpose. What are we all preparing for? Ultimate to die I suppose. This is were religion comes into play, although I have found my self confused about really what happens after death. In most religions once you have died you end up going to a after life and if you completed good deeds through out your life you will end up going to heaven or hell. Of course we would all love to believe that we’ll all live in paradise but really what proof do we have? It has come to a point were I cannot grasp the concept of what seems to be impossible and untold of and of seen of. That is what has changed my life drastically.

• Mr. Stewart says:

Interesting. Many teachers are trying their best to make learning more authentic for the real world. Perhaps some tests are pointless, but other skills that you are learning are the foundations for what you will learn later. I’d love to get your input on ways to make school learning more geared to the real world.

34. Madison says:

When I was 11 and I just started sixth grade I was a total different person. In elementary school I wore such 90’s cloths flair jeans big shoes totally cute, but nerdy! When I went to middle school I matured really fast. I started taking pride and effort in how I looked. getting cuter clothes, and doing my hair. This huge change happened when I walked into school and all the eighth graders had make-up,amazing outfits, dyed hair it changed me. I think for better and for worse. People assume I am not very bright because of my appearance. Truth is, we are a lot smarter than you think.

35. Isaac says:

I can’t recall any times where I have questioned my beliefs. I think thing like that only happen when something drastic, like being imprisoned in Auschwitz like Elie, or losing a family member in the armed forces is drastic enough to question ones beliefs. I don’t know about any of you but I’ve never been imprisoned in Auschwitz, and I don’t think I ever will.

36. Tanner says:

Something that has caused me to change my opinion about something was when I was eight. My dad left on his last deployment, a five-month term in Iraq. I was learning what happened in war and what risks my dad was taking. He flew F-14 Tomcats, he was very good at what he did, at least that is what my mom told me. I was always on edge, asking my om if she got any letters from dad. I watched what news my mom would allow me, trying to keep up if I heard my dad’s name. After that, I treated war in different way than I used to. I always thought my dad was just a special guy who stayed on a big ship out thousands of miles away, and flew this special plane every now and then. I never considered the risks he took, or what could happen to him every time he launched off the carriers. I respect what my dad did, and what everyone else does right now. I know I’m not the only one, I’m sure there are hundreds or thousands of other kids who are realizing what their parents are doing, just like I did. When my dad landed five months later, he would never have to be deployed. Now, after 26 long years, he retired as a Naval Attache Commander. I’m very proud of him, and I will never forget those long five months that changed my view of my father forever.

• Anthony says:

My dad as well was deployed, but sadly I just got used to life without him. Every now and then we would Skype and I’d get to see his face which was cool. I never even thought about the possibility of an attack at his camp in Baghdad. Nothing had ever happened during his 6 month term in Iraq, and when I hear the stories of the terrible things going on I have a hard time believing them, but my dad believes them fully. He knows they’re real. Just thought it was interesting, my dad is going to make major sometime this year and end up retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel.

37. Anthony says:

A while ago, sometime this year though I can’t be certain of exactly when, I had a similar crisis of faith in the sort that Eliezer did. Life had been going downhill for me, even though it probably didn’t seem so, with the wonderful family and life that I had. As wonderful as they were, my family was starting to get on my nerves. I would dread going to school, and then afterwards I only had home to return to. At school, my friends seemed farther away than ever and I didn’t want to spend time with anyone. With all the time alone I had, I began to think, “What is the purpose of anything?” I felt alone, I felt that no one loved me, even though I had tried to love so many others. I started going on walks: Leaving the house, sometimes without my mother even knowing, and just walking. No apparent destination and no apparent reason to live. What reason do we have to live? To die another day, to help out future generations so they can die another day? I felt that God was simply toying with me, that I was part of his game. He wanted to see me succeed only for the pleasure of tearing me down when I’m the highest I’ve ever been, and the most vulnerable. I swore I would beat him at his game, I would do everything the best I could and I wouldn’t need his help at all. What kind of generous god would allow his children to feel hated and unwanted? The god up in the sky was there, but he wasn’t a friend, he was a foe. After a while of being so godless and lost, I began to think of running away from home, no one would miss me. They would forget I was even a part of their lives after a few years. I even thought of suicide, though I could never bring myself to even considering that as a possible outcome, for it went against my main principal of logic. Logic, which needed no God, and made friends and family out as simple tools that will give me what I need to get from point A to B. There was no love anymore, I lied to my parents every day saying I loved them, and I lied to my friends using the familiar excuse that I was tired when I was truly thinking about death and the afterlife. I would ask my friends what they thought about me, and few of them would take it seriously, why would they? I was just a joke to them, entertainment provided to make their days more bearable, but there were those who did respond with heartfelt answers. Christina, Rachel, Laura, and a few others all told me how special I was to them. That I wasn’t useless and that there were people who cared about me. That life wasn’t just about me, and that ending it would be a selfish act. That God wasn’t my enemy, but that everything he did would end up benefiting me in some way or another. Though it did take a long time, I did slowly recover. The main thing I must admit that helps me even now when I have doubts is having a girlfriend. Someone that I know I can lean on and trust, and knowing that someone thinks they can lean on me. Just the thought that someone would actually want to be with me, is enough to make my day just a little better than it was. I cannot claim to be christian or catholic, because I couldn’t tell you much about the bible or even God himself. I have my own thought of who God is and how he works, and those are enough to keep me going.

• Nicholas says:

Wow Anthony, very strong and touching post. A crisis of faith is a strong feeling but it always seems you recover from anything because no matter what you do, even if you thought it was your worst mistake in life, God always is with you.

38. Percy says:

When I was about six years old, I did not believe in magic. My older friend had an obsession with Harry Potter, and had always tried to tell me that magic was real. I thought that this was tomfoolery. One day, we went to my friend’s grandma’s house. My friend had brought her wand collection with her. Her grandma was pretending to do magical things to everything. We were in the backyard and she waved a wand around. A bird came falling down from the sky and there were feathers flying around. It was dead! It was magical! That day, I realized that magical things really do happen! My belief has been changed.

39. Nicholas says:

My life changing personal experience was when the homeless gathered in the river here in Colorado Springs. They depended on eachother to stay alive through unforgiving nights and brutal weather. Their cold, chiped, withered faces told me that they were in desperate need of food, water, and a home. I was speachless at the sight of the river and wished I could help, even minorly. It made me think that my life wasn’t just for myself, I had a role twords other people. It made me want to help them and other people in stuggles. Even as this inncodent beign passed off as “not a big deal” to most people, It changed my view twoards the helpless forever.

40. Hailey says:

Ever since I was a little girl, my little brother and I have always wanted a puppy. I think every child wants a little puppy to hug and play with. We used to think it would be all fun and nothing would go wrong. However, my parents would always say no. My mom and older brother are allergic to dogs so that’s why we were never able to get one. My little brother, Justin, and I kept on asking my dad for a dog until he finally gave in. A few months ago my dad, little brother, and I started looking for the perfect puppy. Now that I’m older and my brothers are older, my dad thinks we could handle the responsibility of taking care of a dog. When we started to look on the internet for a pup my mom and older brother were not on board with it. But once we found the breed, Shih Tzu, we knew they were perfect because they don’t shed hair and they’re hypoallergenic. It’s perfect. As soon as we brought our little puppy Maxwell home, my mom and brother fell in love.
    The very first week when my puppy was in his new home, I realized that it’s very challenging and a lot of work to take care of a puppy. It’s just like having a baby in the house. Always having to feed it, and clean up after it goes potty all over, and cleaning up after it throws up on the carpet. And then having to bathe it, walk it, brush it, and keeping him entertained and happy. Having and taking care of a puppy is not what I imagined it would be when I was younger. I thought about all of the fun it would be, not all of the work. Especially when the puppy is sick. Lately, my puppy Max hasn’t been feeling very well, and when he’s not feeling well, it makes me not feel well. My point is, that before, when I was young I thought it would be all fun with no work, but I was wrong. My opinion on having a dog has changed greatly. Now that I do finally have the puppy that I always wanted, I realize that it’s a lot of hard work. But in the end, it’s worth it to have him in my life.

41. Christina says:

Something that really changed my point of view, was when I first started playing guitar. This really changed my point of view on music in a good way. I realized that songs I liked, that sounded extremely complicated, really weren’t. I was able to learn them quickly, and I could play them fairly well with not much effort. Also, I found that when I listened to my music, I was able to pick out certain parts of a song, and I would listen for guitar parts and bass parts. Guitar came naturally to me, and I enjoyed it, and I’m so glad I have guitar as my way of expressing myself.

42. Heather says:

Every Tuesday morning my moms volunteers at a homeless shelter. For months she has wanted me to come with her, but I would always refuse. I always thought that homeless people were scary, lazy, unfriendly and, to be honest, gross. Finally one day my mom made me go with her. I helped give them clothes and other items they need. In the end I found out that they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. Some of them have just been struggling with everything and can’t find a way out.

43. Nicole says:

Some thing that changed my life is all the naturals disasters that happen around the world. When I first started to hear about people losing everything thing they had, homes, friends family and their life, I was so depressed because its not like some of the people did not do anything to deserve being in so much pain. Then just to think that there are kids my age and younger out there who could have lost their mom, dad, sister, or brother, it makes me think about what if that happened to my family what if I lost my family or some one in it or my one friends? What would do? Then I would look around at what I see, happy people, some just taking ,taking and taking and not thinking about who needs it more, some not caring about what is going on around the world, and who has to put up with it. But then there are people who give, give and give. They take the time to make sure that families have food, water, clothes, a roof to live under. So to being able to help give money to the red cross, and making some one around the world smile. Is just a wonderful feeling!

44. Jordan says:

On a small trip last summer i stayed at a summer camp. During my time there one day we went to a hospital to volenteer to help the poor. I honestly thought most of them were just too relient on welfare to find a job but i soon found out that that was not the case. Most people there were victims of war and served our country honorably but can’t find a way to put their skill in battle to use in the civilian world or they are unemployed due to the depression. Many of them would drink to try to make their problems go away. I soon found out that they are just normal people not lazy slobs and they are just trying to do the right thing but sometimes that is hard.

45. Chloe says:

One place that a hate going is Walmart. One because the people there just suck at being nice. There all so mean and never seem cheerful to be there working. Second the floor there is so gross. Well not only the floor everything is…ew.i have to ride in a cart and be sitting on a jacket for you to make me go in. i tried to give then a second chance but it just got worst and worst.

46. Sierra says:

Within these two years I have had three deaths. One of those deaths was cancer related. She didn’t for treatment for her cancer because both her parents and her thought that God would save her. When I was young and my great aunt died, something said inside of me that if God really saved people from death she would still be alive. Years later my great uncle, grandma, and grandpa died. Last year my grandma started to get really ill around September or October. I was going out to see her in November and I wanted to see her one last time. I prayed and prayed that I could see her one last time. When it was time to go out were she was, she was still alive. Later that week she died. I do believe that there is someone or something looking over us but now I will not ever think that people are saved from death. If so, nearly no on would be dead. When I think of this now, my mind goes straight to the book, Night. So many Jewish people but a lot of them prayed for their life.

• Riley says:

Dang! I love your post Sierra. You give a few examples of death in you’r post and you talk about how it seems like God does’nt protect people from death. Then you bring you’r story around and relate it to how some of the jewish inmates in Knight are beginning to think the same thing.

47. Riley says:

Back when I was about nine years old I was the type who would never do anything and I was always scared. One day when we went out the PMI to ride dirtbikes my dad and brother both said ‘ you need to grow a pair and start riding fast”. So I went out on the track and I just went completely out of my comfort zone, but I going much faster. So after that on my dirtbike I was way faster and I wasn’t afraid to try new jumps or lines. Then I began to try bigger things in different sports and just in life. I sort of became a stronger person after that one day at the track.

48. Brynn says:

Once when i was about eight years old my parents got me my first pocket knife. The knife itself was only an inch or two long but i thought it was the most awesome knife ever. That was of course until the weekend my parents left me with my sister. That weekend my parents had to go to Denver for a doctors appointment. They left me with my sister (16 at the time). On Saturday i decided i was going to go carve something out of wood with my brand new pocket knife. I went outside and grabbed a rather wiry twig and crawled under my porch. As I carved on the piece of pine, it slowly became thinner and thinner. All of a sudden the twig snapped and the momentum of my stroke pushed the blade and inch into my leg hitting an artery. I screamed and screamed, my sister thinking id seen a bear came out of her room smiling calmly saying, “Whats wrong”, until she looked at my leg. She screamed and the room was filled with the cacophony of us screaming. She ran and dialed 911 and I was carried to Breckenridge Hospital and given 17 stitches. I have not touched a pocket knife since. Knifes used to be interesting exciting things, and now there are objects of horror for me. This was truly opinion changing.

49. Elijah says:

one time when I was thirteen years old, I came home from my friends house, i saw my mom and dad filling out unusal paper work. So I asked them what was happening and they told me my dad was leaving us. This changed my life because my dad had allways been there for me and now he just decides to walk out on us. I got some bene fits from that but i lost My dads company. This small event changed my life.

• Kyle says:

My parents are devorced, too and I know how it feels, but unlike you I was only four when it happened so I didn’t really understand what was happening.

50. Mollie says:

There are many things I think have made me the way I am but the biggest one was when my grandma died of cancer. She died of cancer after fighting it for 3 years. She was my best friend; she was always there for me. Losing her was very hard but made me realize that we should value our lives and live to the fullest. She was a strong believer in Christ and made sure that until the last minute she died she was serving him. She has shaped me to be a woman of God and a loving friend, daughter and more.

51. Shazad says:

One day in the ordinary I was walk from school, to home on the way I heard barking. I looked to my side a dog stared at me with no leach, and I was frozen. Two minutes strait we exchanged glances, when I thought things couldn’t have gotten worse, he started to sprint at me. Suddenly a man who seemed like a dog owner stop the dog and I ran home. People like that need to chain their dog or something to stop them from attacking people,

52. Nikol says:

Once upon a blue moon I lived in a beautiful house near a river. Every day fringes would bound merrily into our backyard, take a dip in our pool and stroll in the ally way between my house and my neighbor. I loved to touch them and pick them up with my strong but small little child hands. One time I held on to a frog a little to long and a little to hard and the frog suffocated in my hands, slowly, and its insides coming up from its little mouth. Most likely it felt the burning feeling as it passed out and died in my hands.

The prisoners felt this pain everyday as they slowly decomposed day by day knowing the end was coming. At least they fell asleep before dying, most of them.

• Janelle says:

Nikol,
      I love how you used that comparison between the frog and those prisoners. When you said that the slowly decomposed day by day, that doesn’t mean they had to literally decompose, their will to live, to survive and to escape was completely desecrated by the Nazis.

53. Janelle says:

Although it may seem small to other people, i think that it’s the small things in life that shape us the most. I used to think that my family was oh-so-poor because i didn’t get an allowance, or i can’t have a computer or a cellphone. But then i found out about all these people who not only don’t have a nice three-story house like mine, but no home at all, and then they get kicked out of the makeshift home so they are literally out on the street. I can’t imagine what those prisoners felt in Night. They were ripped out of their homes and could barely take anything with them. I can’t imagine what it would be like to literally have your life ripped away from you, having no say whatsoever in what happens to you. I’m suddenly a lot more thankful for what i do have.

54. Daniel says:

When I was 9, we got our first rabbit. at the time, he was 11 years old. this was weird because rabbits live to be 6 or 8 years, usually. anyway, he was blind, deaf, and had some other problems, with his heart and lungs. I thought that there was a rabbit that was gods pet, who was keeping Him alive. this changed my opininon because i just thought that he would keep going and going and going. this relates to night because Elie had the same perseverence that our rabbit had, as in against all odds, he would survive.

55. Kyle says:

One time I was at the mall and I went to the food court and I went to DQ, (Dairy Queen). I had already had lunch before and I wanted some dessert. So I went up to the counter and I ask for an ice cream cone. When I got it I going for a bite and I spotted a hair. I took it back and I asked for a refund. The lady behind the counter said sorry politely took the cone, put the money on the counter, and slammed the cone into my money. Of course I never went there again.
    This story relates to the part of night where Elie wasbeing curious because his block master sent them to work on Sunday and saw him hooking up with a girl. Because he was so curious he got punished.
    He got punished for something so simple just like I got punished.